Grounded Coffee Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Her Campus sat down with two executive members to learn about Grounded, a student-run, non-profile, Christ focused coffee shop, located right on the Greencastle square. They offer a public space where students and the greater Greencastle community can come to relax, recharge, rejuvenate and grow spiritually. It serves as a coffee shop and study space as well as a venue for regular performances from the DePauw School of Music and other local bands. It will also host open mic, poetry and comedy nights. Come stop by the square and see what everyone has been talking about!

Her Campus: Thank you for both sitting down with us, especially during finals week! What has been the inspiration behind Grounded?

Joslynn Sweeney: So, Grounded originally started out as Bago’s. Our founder, a DePauw alumni named Hope, felt like God put it in her heart to start creating somewhat of a bible study on Tuesday nights from 9-10. She let people know, and, the first night, when she expected three or five people to come, nearly twenty did! The small space in her house on campus quickly filled up, and that’s when they realized God wanted bigger and better things. After looking at a couple places to rent, they found the place on the square and took it from there. It wasn’t until this year that Bago’s became Grounded. 

HC: Oh wow! So there’s quite a history with Grounded; that’s great to see how far it’s come! What events are coming up that students should know about?

Emma Duncan: We just had our Christmas party this past Tuesday. We had a cookie decorating contest, Vaseline and cotton ball Santa beard contest and ugliest Christmas sweater contest. People spent the evening singing Christmas carol karaoke. It was tons of fun! Coffee and Christ is also every Tuesday from 9-10pm too!

JS: But, on Tuesday, the 13th, we have a study night provided by a local church called Bethel. These people from the Greencastle community make food and ‘final survival packs’ and offer prayer for students if they’re feeling stressed or just need someone to talk to.

HC: Oh, very festive! Also, it’s so great to see how closely Grounded and the community have been involved with each other. What’s your favorite part about Grounded?

JS: My favorite part about being involved in Grounded is Coffee and Christ on Tuesday nights. We’ve had several people this year, who I didn’t know all that well, ask to give their testimonies. It was awesome and exciting to see how Grounded is affecting people and what all it can offer to someone- a safe space and a reliable community.

ED: I love the community it has created for me. It’s a refreshing place to be each week. College constantly challenges our faith, so it is nice to stay rooted through Grounded. 

HC: The space that Grounded provides is all too rare in today’s world. That’s so refreshing that there’s an outlet like this on a college campus! Why should others join the community or at least give it a try?

JS: Grounded, although a religious, non-profit organization, is a nonjudgmental and stress-free space. It’s easy to get caught up in schoolwork and a party scene, especially at DePauw. I’ve heard from multiple people that this one hour on Tuesday nights is the only time people can forget about everything they have on their plate and just breathe for a second. I’ve also heard that the community of Grounded offers a space for real conversations, something I feel we lack on campus

ED: College students have a fear about being involved in religious organizations. I think it is derived from a feeling that they will be judged and that where they are right now isn’t good enough to be involved in such a group. Grounded is a welcoming, non-judgmental space. It gives college students an opportunity to find a community of Christians. You don’t have to be a believer or be strong in your faith to come. All are welcome. Each week is different, so I encourage anyone to come try it out! 

HC: I love everything about Grounded! Thank you two and the other members for being so passionate and invested in such a great concept! DePauw and Greencastle are very lucky to have you! Happy holidays!

11 N Indiana St Greencastle IN

@bagoscoffeeshop

(317) 363-2699

Hours: 4pm – 10pm

Sophomore Psychology MajorMember of Alpha PhiWomen's Varsity Lacrosse  
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.