Grace Anshutz ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Meet our newest HerCampus Celebrity, Grace Anshutz, a sophomore from Des Moines, Iowa who is on the executive council of Dance Marathon, a member of Pi Beta Phi Sorority, and a first year mentor. If that doesn’t convince you of her personal drive and motivation, then her spirit and passion for Dance Marathon at DePauw will! Come out on November 22nd from 12-6pm in the Indoor Track and Field and support the Riley Children’s Hospital and see what Grace is talking about!

HerCampus: Hi Grace, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to tell us about Dance Marathon coming up! What can you tell us about the event?

Grace Anshutz: DM stands for Dance Marathon and we often say DPUDM, for DePauw University Dance Marathon. We also love to say FTK or For the Kids because Dance Marathon benefits Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. This year as an executive council we decided to dedicate our funds to research at Riley. So when people are making a donation they are donating to the future of children’s healthcare!

HC: That’s such a great cause, I’m so glad DePauw is involved in an event like that! How did you get involved in DM?

GA: I got involved in Dance Marathon last year during the inaugural year at DePauw! I was excited to learn of a philanthropy event that benefited Riley Hospital for Children because my younger brother was a patient at Riley. My family has benefited from the passionate care at Riley and I truly believe in their mission to provide this care to everyone regardless of their ability to pay. 

HC: My brother was a patient there too, it’s great to know that you’ve found the good out of the situation and can give back to Riley while at school! What can students look forward to at DM?

GA: At the event you can look forward to food, games, and of course…DANCING! My favorite part of the event is hearing from the Riley families. Riley patients and their families come to the marathon and share their stories. It is truly inspiring to hear how Riley has transformed their lives! 

HC: I can only imagine, it must make you feel so good to know you’re making a difference by supporting the place that saved theirs lives. How can other DePauw students get involved now before the event?

GA: DePauw students can get involved in Dance Marathon by registering online! The registration process is really easy. A “dancer” can register to join a team (with their fraternity or sorority, or any other campus group) or just sign up as an individual. Once you are registered you can share your dancer page with family and friends to raise funds for Riley! 

HC: I’m certainly convinced of DM’s  mission “for the kids” and hopefully you are too! It’s not too late to register, there’s still plenty of time! Last question Grace, what has been the most rewarding part of being involved in Dance Marathon to you?

GA: Being on the executive council for Dance Marathon has been one of the most rewarding experiences at DePauw and in my life! I have gotten to meet some truly amazing and inspiring people on campus who are genuinely enthusiastic and passionate about Riley. Each member of the executive council brings an essential energy to the group. We have a lot of fun together, all for an amazing cause! 

HC: Sounds like it! I can’t wait to see the great turn out at Dance Marathon this year and see how many people, we as a campus, can change in other people’s lives. Thanks for your time today Grace and for believing in such a great place like Riley and all it stands for! Good luck these next view weeks with planning the event! And for our readers, spread the word to all your friends and family and we hope to see you dancing on November 22nd!

Sophomore Psychology MajorMember of Alpha PhiWomen's Varsity Lacrosse