Go Ahead and Cut Your Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

So after over a year of growing my hair out, I decided it was time to get it cut. After returning to campus in the peak heat of summer and living in a room with no air conditioning, I realized how hot having long hair was and how often it ended up in a ponytail. I decided pretty quickly I wanted to get a haircut—and not just a trim, but a big cut. A week later, I was in a big black chair watching my hair hit the ground.

It is common to hear of girls regretting big haircuts after getting them, but I am here to report that I love my short hair! It hangs right below my shoulders and still fits in a ponytail. My hair is so much easier to take care of now and is still super cute. Since cutting my hair, I have gotten to try cute new hairstyles that I couldn’t do with my long, wavy hair. It feels so healthy and soft. I can’t believe I didn’t cut it sooner.

The best part about my new hair is that it has given me confidence. I walked out of the hair salon feeling like a new woman. I think my short hair is fun and flirty. A lot of people might not like my new cut, but that is part of what has empowered me about the situation. I like my hair a lot, and that is all that really matters! It feels so much better, and I happen to think it fits my personality and style.

After taking on this adventurous transformation, I just want to say to everyone, don’t be afraid to cut your hair. Especially now, while we are young, it is important to try new things, to be yourself. If you want to get bangs, get bangs. If you want to put blue in your hair, go for it! College is the most accepting environment you will ever be a part of, so you should take advantage of it. The great thing about a haircut is that it grows back, so there is really nothing to be afraid of. I am so happy I took a big step and tried something new.

Hi, I'm Zosha! I'm a senior and I'm also the Senior Editor of the DePauw HerCampus Chapter. I'm an English Writing Major and Psychology Minor. In addition to HerCampus, I am also a Bonner School, Fiction Editor for the Midwestern Review, and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. My obsessions are otters, The Office, and flowers.