This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Over quarantine a decent number of artists dropped albums, which was super exciting. I was super excited for the multiple album releases because it made some of the solitude better. One particular album that I was super excited for was Glass Animals’ album entitled Dreamland. Glass Animals has always been one of my favorite artists because of all the memories their songs illicit. In high school my friends and I listened to their album How To Be A Human Being all the time, and we even were lucky enough to see them at Bonnaroo. Glass Animals’ music is so soothing, and this new album is literally amazing. I think their genre is technically psychedelic pop. I do not really know what that means, but it sounds cool. In this post I will be talking about my five favorite songs from this new album. Seriously though you should all go listen to the whole album anyways. 

Also, these songs are in no particular order because I was really struggling to even choose which 5 to write about. 

“Heat Waves”

This song is just so amazing. I love this song because like on the one hand there is this deep rhythmic bass, but it there is also this airiness and bounce to it. I also think the lyrics of the song are just very relatable. I think the message is very meaningful, because it talks about not being able to stop thinking about someone even though you know they are better off. It just really makes me feel emotions. 

“Helium”

This song is literally just beautiful. The sounds literally make me think of whatever psychedelics would sound like. At parts it also sounds kind of foggy, which I find very impactful. It makes me really tune into the song. The vocals are also just beautiful and light in this song. The song also starts slow and builds up, and this continues throughout the song. I think this buildup also contributes to the impact of the song. Additionally, around the part of the bridge the song totally switches up. The instrumentals remind me of bells and it feels like I am literally floating on a cloud. 

“Dreamland”

This is the first song on the album. It also gives off the same bell and cloud vibes that I mentioned in the song description above. The vocals in this song are so clear and soothing. This song is airy and just sounds magical. Literally I think this song is just such a piece of art I cannot even find the words to describe it. It is also kinda meta because at the end it literally acknowledges this song being on an album and people listening to it. I just love it. 

“Waterfalls Coming Out Your Mouth”

The song starts out with a slow electronic melody, and this continues throughout the song. The vocals are crisp and pronounced in this song. There is also a steady bass throughout the song which makes it more intense compared to some of the other songs on the album. Around the bridge the song grows softer and gradually builds back up, which makes the ending super fun. 

“Tangerine” 

This song just starts out with such a fun and upbeat energy. This is definitely a song that I play whenever I am drinking at home with my housemates and trying to get amped up. In my opinion this song has the most energy of all the songs on the album (except for maybe “Tokyo Drifting”). There are also points in the song when the words are more muted, amplifying the sound. I really like when this aspect is worked into the song because the sounds are just amazing. 

My name is Mallory. I am a Senior sociology major at DePauw University. If you knew me you would know I am really into skeletons and love going to music festivals!
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.