Get Involved: WGRE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

If you’re looking for a fabulous way to get involved on campus, look no further than WGRE! DePauw’s radio station, WGRE 91.5, allows students from all grades to host their own radio show time slot. You can host by yourself if you are super dedicated to your show’s topic and don’t feel the need for assistance, or you can host with a few friends in order to create a fun and laid-back atmosphere in the studio! You can also invite people onto the show for interviews or accept calls from listeners to engage in your show and activities. Most recently, listeners can actually text into the booth along with making calls to request songs and bring up conversation topics. Some hot topics that people like to talk about are politics and how they present themselves on DePauw’s campus, their favorite Broadway shows, sports on DePauw’s campus, and advice columns; these are just a few of the many possible topics.

Having your own radio show is a great way to feel like a pivotal part of DePauw’s campus because you are able to be a voice for listeners, updating everyone on what they need to know. Not only is it a great way to become your own storyteller for a broad audience, but it is also a great break during a busy day! It’s great knowing that your friends and family are listening to your show and giving their support. For only an hour or two, students are able to talk about whatever they choose (with censorship, of course) and play a selection of alternative music. While you run the show, you can also relax and even get some homework done. Not to mention, it is a great addition to your resume! No matter what your major is, a radio show is undoubtedly a resume booster and a good icebreaker, as well. If you are really interested in a career in media studies, employers are looking for legitimate experience and application with media platforms. At DePauw, these platforms are WGRE, D3TV, and The DePauw. It is important to dip your toe in each of these outlets to be able to bring these experiences to the workforce and to edge out the competition for internships and jobs.

If you are curious about WGRE and the many opportunities you can receive from it, consider talking to sophomore Julia Keesling. She is the sports director for WGRE and can attest to the many opportunities she has received through her position. Most recently, she was asked to be a media correspondent for the Indiana Pacers NBA basketball team. She used her passion for sports and media to cultivate her success into a leadership position in student media, and she already has internship offers for her dream job! Go Julia! I can also attest to the fact that hosting a radio show is one of the best experiences I’ve had at DePauw. I hosted one with my freshman year roommate from 12am – 2am on Tuesdays, and I currently host one with my best friend from 2 – 3pm on Tuesday afternoons. You should definitely check it out and get a feel for what the format of a WGRE radio show sounds like!

If you are interested in getting involved in WGRE, contact Hannah Gardner or Dr. Jeffrey McCall at hannahgardner_2018@depauw.edu or jeffmccall@depauw.edu