Gauchos to Cropped Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

What the heck is a gaucho? People born in the ’90s remember them as a brief fashion trend that included loose flowing pair of pants worn in the third grade. However, the word ‘gaucho’ is Spanish and means a skilled horseman who is brave and unruly. These men would wear loose fitting pants, which is how this style of pants adopted the name. Unfortunately, the trend of the gauchos has been non-existent since the 2000s.

When examining trends in fashion, it is very common that styles will recycle themselves and become a popular trend in a different decade. As for the gauchos, they have been reappearing in Asian countries more frequently and have just recently made a grand reappearance in the western market. However, marketing brands have scrapped the word ‘gaucho’ and are just referring to them as cropped pants. The style is basically the same it was in the 2000s, but are previewing a higher waist line and bolder patterns on the stylish pants. Retail stores like Urban Outfitters, Gap, Express and other popular outlets have reintroduced this style into their products.  The wonderful thing about these pants is they can be used to make a variety of outfit aesthetics. The solid-colored cropped pants appear more professional and can be paired with heels and a nice sweater or blouse for a dressier look. The cropped pants also pair well with booties and a graphic tee for a relaxed/casual look. Since this style of pant is available in an array of fabrics and patterns, it is perfect for any look you are putting together!

These wide-legged trousers for women are comfortable, versatile, and spunky! The women who wear these may not be riding horses like their original purpose suggests, but they sure are brave and unruly. The pictures below are from Urban outfitters and Gap. They have a similar price ranging from 50-60 dollars.

Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.