Freshman Tips from One Freshman to Another

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Starting at a new school and adjusting to a new environment can be stressful, so after being on campus as a freshman for a month, here are a few tips that I’d like to share from my own experience!

1. Get involved

• Getting involved on campus is a great way to meet new people who are passionate about the same things that you are. New friendships can be formed by getting involved in clubs or activities. Join a club or two, try a new intramural sport, or do some volunteer work on campus! If you missed the activities fair, a lot of clubs are still open to new members, so just show up to a meeting and see what it’s all about. Even if you haven’t tried something before, if it looks interesting, go for it! You’ll never know if you like something until you try it. Freshman year is the time to try new things that are out of your comfort zone. Luckily, there are many clubs and organizations on campus to get involved in, so take advantage of these opportunities. These four years are going to fly by, and it’s important to be involved because it looks good on a resume and can be fun!

2. Stay organized

• The first few weeks of classes are stressful, especially when you’re trying to adjust to the amount of studying that you need to do. The most important tip is to start on your assignments right away! It’s tempting to push things off until the last minute, but that just makes it harder. Staying organized makes it easy to get assignments done in time and have time for activities as well as a social life. Make sure to keep a planner with your school work and activities dates. It can also help you figure out when you have time to do things such as laundry or hanging out with friends!

3. Visit your professors during their office hours

• I know it can be intimidating to meet with a professor for the first time, but even if it’s just for a few minutes, it shows them that you care about their class. Try to come up with a few questions either about the content or structure of the class. Maybe ask them for advice on studying or outside resources. Visiting your professors is a way to give them a chance to learn your name and recognize your work ethic and commitment to the class!

4. Be social

• Put yourself out there and meet new people. You never know who you’ll meet. College is the first time that you are constantly around your classmates. Whether it’s your roommate, people in your dorm, or people in the same club as you, introduce yourself and start making a connection. You’re going to be spending four years with the people around you so you should start figuring out who you like to hang out with. If you want to get to know someone better, ask them to lunch or to grab coffee! Ask them what they are doing over the weekend and make plans to hang out. Make an effort to find new friends and give people a chance. Get to know them. Listen to what they talk about and find a common interest. Maybe you’ll end up finding your new best friend!

5. Self-care is important

• Make sure you are taking care of yourself. Moving to a new place with new classes and new people can be stressful and tiring. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and a little homesick. School can also get very stressful, which is why it’s important to know when you’ve done enough studying and when it’s time to get some sleep. And if you’ve had a stressful week, it’s okay to want to have a calm night in with a few friends. Maybe do a movie night or get some ice cream. It’s also okay to take a couple hours just for yourself. You can go for a walk in the nature park or just watch some Netflix. Know that it’s okay to feel overwhelmed at first, because it’s a stressful transition; however, self-care is important for rejuvenating yourself so you can go back to kicking butt!
Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.