Food Critic for a Day: My Quest for Finding Greencastle’s Finest Cuisine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Monical’s: check. Almost Home: check. The Duck: check.
I’ve crossed them all off my list. And you should too. It’s time to say goodbye to these eateries, because although they are tasty, you probably have their menus memorized. Let’s face it: the number of restaurants in Greencastle is pretty limited…or so I thought.

Here is a list of four new restaurants I tried —all in one day, mind you —with the help of my friend Mags. I’m still full! We went into four different restaurants, asked for their best dish, and did some taste testing. Check out the results!

The Blue Door Cafe – 5 Stars

Roast beef sandwich with Swiss and “Special Sauce” on Wholegrain bread, Potato Salad and Cauliflower Cheese Soup.

The Blue Door Cafe was our clear winner. The sandwich was seriously one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had! I was a little nervous about trying the soup (I hate cauliflower) but surprisingly, you can’t taste the vegetable. The restaurant itself is homey, with couches and magazines to read—a perfect place to study. It’s like a Greencastle Starbucks! Another plus: It’s cheap. Oh, and did I mention it’s within walking distance? I could go on and on about how great this place is….

Monon Restaurant – 4 Stars

Scrambled Eggs, Dollar Pancakes, and a Belgian Waffle

If you like Bob Evan’s, the Monon Restaurant is the place for you! There is a good variety of food from fish to pastas, but I would say that the restaurant is best known for their breakfast. The Belgian waffle was especially good; I’d say you could get a similar one at any restaurant, really. The Monon’s biggest lure is their prices; everything pictured above only cost $5.99! 

Mama Nunz 4 Stars

New York Strip Tips over Pasta with Alfredo Sauce and a Side Salad

I’m not much of a meat person, but I tried the steak, and to my surprise, it was good! As an overall dish, however, I would say that the mixture of tastes was a little…different, but that’s just me. Nonetheless, I would still recommend Mama Nunz because I’m a huge fan of their pizza, lasagna, and Mexican food. Their everyday specials are a great bargain, too! Tenderloin, fries, and a drink are yours for only $6.75!

Great China Buffet – 2 Stars

Beef and Broccoli, Vegetable Lo Mein, Crab Rangoon, and an Egg Roll

I would say that out of all of these items, the Egg Roll was my favorite; the Beef and Broccoli was Maggie’s. The highlight of the restaurant is that it features an all-you-can-eat dessert bar! In addition to traditional Chinese desserts, they offer cookies, Jell-O squares, cake, and (my personal favorite) Fro-Yo! Depending on how much you eat, I would say the prices are fairly reasonable: $5.15 for lunch and $6.95 for dinner. 

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!
Leanne Schaub is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, where she is majoring in Communication with a minor in Psychology. She is originally from the beautiful town of Leland, located in northern Michigan. Leanne is the President of the Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi and is a Speaking and Listening Center Consultant. On those rare occasions when she is not busy with academics or extracurricular activities, she loves dancing, catching up with family and friends, watching classic movies, being creative, cooking, and organizing.