BHM Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BHM Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Design by Gabi Maynard

Five Ways to Celebrate Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Even though February is coming to a close there is still time to celebrate Black History Month. Then even after this month ends, we should continue to learn, listen, and uplift Black voices in our communities. Here are just a few of the ways to honor this important month. 

Shop from Black Owned Businesses 

Instead of going Amazon, try shopping from a Black-owned business. If you go to Etsy there is a whole category for Black-owned shops! Another one of our writers also just wrote a whole article featuring Black-owned businesses. Even if you don’t need anything right now, you should bookmark these sites for the next time you are in the market for a new item. 

Educate Yourself 

This is one of the most important things you can do. There are so many resources out there, especially this month, to learn about Black history and the implications it has on our society today. The website Anti- Racism Daily is a great site because they send out a free daily newsletter with articles and action steps if you subscribe. They also have a lot of pasted articles saved that you can go and check out anytime. 

Watch Black Stories

Instead of turning on The Office, try to find shows and movies made by and starring Black artist. If you are looking for a documentary the 13th is a great place to start. If you are looking for a TV show then try When They See Us, a short series about the Central Park Five. Finally The Hate You Give is a movie based off of a book by Angie Thomas. This movie isn’t available on Netflix, but it is on Hulu. These are just a few suggestions. Most platforms have a whole category dedicated to entertainment made by Black creators that you can browse through. 

Follow Black Creators

Whatever your niche is whether it’s cooking, fashion, travel or anything in between, there are Black creators out there doing those things! If you Google, there are all kinds of lists for Black creators you can follow or just search through your explore page for recommended posts. Following Black creators ensures that you aren’t just consuming content their content during February but all year round! 

This is a very short list of all the things you can do during Black History month and the rest of the year to educate yourself and work toward uplifting the Black community but hopefully, these will be a good place for you to start! 

Hi, I'm Zosha! I'm a senior and I'm also the Senior Editor of the DePauw HerCampus Chapter. I'm an English Writing Major and Psychology Minor. In addition to HerCampus, I am also a Bonner School, Fiction Editor for the Midwestern Review, and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. My obsessions are otters, The Office, and flowers.
Hi, I'm Katherine! I'm an Anthropology major. I am a member of the Honors Scholar Program, as well as a Bonner Scholar.