Falling into Fashion: 4 Must-Haves for Fall 2018!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As the colder nights and mornings begin to hit DePauw, everyone knows that fall is right around the corner! Fall fashion is one of my favorites because it is not so cold that you’re hidden behind a huge coat, but it is also not so scorching hot that you’re trying to have minimal fabric on your back. I think it allows people to express themselves by showing off the perfect amount of clothing. I have listed 4 must-haves that are staples for all the many pieces you will be wearing this fall, and I really do not think your closet will be complete without them!

1. Jean jackets, jackets, JACKETS!               

Light to heavy jackets are stable pieces of outfits in fall, and they can really dress any outfit up or down. Jean jackets are a growing trend, and in particular oversized jean jackets with sweatshirts/sweaters underneath them are becoming really popular. It is so easy and fun to layer jean jackets because there are so many options. You can wear them with a t-shirt dress, comfy hoodies or nice knitted sweaters, or just a tank top or cami! Also, jean jackets come in so many different styles, you can get them in light wash or dark wash, black/grey/white, army green, or really any color you want, so it can be a reflection of your own style. Honestly, I think that jean jackets can just pull your whole outfit together and keep you warm for this annoying Indiana weather.

2. Cut jeans, shirts, everything!!!!

Cutting your clothes and customizing them to your style is something that people have been doing for a while, but I noticed that it is really popular among a lot of my friends here. I think that since there is a Goodwill in Greencastle, it is popular to go there and pick out some unique shirts and customize them by cutting them. For fall, oversized cut shirts and sweaters would be really cute to wear throughout the week, but they also could be easily dressed up for going out on the weekend. You could pair cut shirts/sweaters with jeans, leggings, or shorts (weather dependent). Overall, I think that cutting your shirts and sweaters just gives them a really different and unique look that I noticed is becoming really popular on campus and in general! Also, cut DePauw shirts would be a really super cute way to pop out at tailgates.

(Note: Jean jackets look really CUTE with cut shirts ;))

3. Colored windbreakers      

In my 4 weeks of being here, I have noticed that windbreakers are becoming extremely popular throughout campus. I really like them and also think they are perfect for fall because they are light coats that can brace the crisp weather that is coming shortly. However, I bought a bright yellow windbreaker this summer because I was traveling in rainy Ireland and thought it would almost be funny to look like a highlighter. But, when I was wearing it there I realized that it was actually so cute to pair with neutral-toned clothes, and it can go with a lot. I gave it to my roommate this past weekend to go to the football game in, and it really made her outfit. She looked so good with a grey DePauw hoodie, ripped jeans, and rain boots, and the bright yellow windbreaker really made her stand out (and get a lot of compliments). I think that fall-colored windbreakers (army green, plum, dark orange, maroon) would be really cute to pair with everyday outfits, and just to (pumpkin) spice your outfits up a little!

(Note: LOOK how CUTE my roomie is!)

4. A reliable pair of cute boots

Boots are one of my favorite things about fall and winter, and I think that every girl needs to have a pair that they can depend on. Whether it’s your Uggs, Doc Martens, Combat boots, or cute little booties, you can dress all these pairs up or down depending on your outfit and socks. Wearing boots with your outfits lets you and others know that you are ready to take on fall while also high-key keeping you super warm (fuzzy socks can also really help with this).

All in all, I think that as long as you have these 4 simple things, you can dress up or down any outfit that you want and really have a set style for this fall. I am so excited to pull out my fall wardrobe and get more inspiration for outfits from walking around campus. Happy fall, everyone, and only a little more than a month left until Halloween!

Kara Roche

DePauw '22

Hello! I am Kara Roche, and I am a freshmen at DePauw. I am from Chicago, and I love everything to do with style. I love exploring different styles, makeup, skincare, hair, everything you can think of regarding style.