This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I’ve been feeling very inspired lately by elementary schoolers. Little girls who boldly mismatch and wear high pigtails…true icons. I think my style peaked around 2006, but I still love headbands, bold colors, and patterns just as much as I did back then. So here are some fashion tips from young Kate, a throwback lookbook you didn’t know you needed and hopefully your inspiration to be as fun and fresh as these flip-flops. I was named the fashionista of my household at a young age. Thanks to AWESOME hand-me-downs from older cousins and a real gift for accessorizing, I always left my house ready to stunt. As I grew, so did my headband collection, and I could always tell you how my ‘fit tied together if the adults in my world didn’t see it. I’m not saying I was an icon, but I’m also not not saying that. 

Around 2010 I decided to tone it down, but headbands and hair bows remained a staple to my wardrobe. In middle school, I discovered fun earrings but my outfits started to move towards the monochromatic, and by the end of high school, headbands were only for bad hair days. It wasn’t until I got to college that I rekindled my love for dressing up and wearing colorful, matchy outfits on the regular.It’s 2019, and adorable is the new cool. Yellow is back and better than ever, as are overalls, jumpers, funky leggings and turtlenecks. Your early 2000s self is ready for a comeback, and the trends have aligned perfectly for this moment. And even if Vogue isn’t ready, you are. Here is the complete lookbook, may you emerge inspired to find your matching skorts and t-shirts from the Target kid’s section…

Fun pants? Yes, queen! 

4th of July tinsel accessory? Any day! Fun graphic tee? Go for it!

Gift bow to hair bow DIY? Absolutely.

Black on black ft. fun buttons? Hell yeah. 

And just in case you forgot about headbands… they are essential.

So, the next time you’re home, look through your old pictures and see what trends you have forgotten over the years. You may discover something beautiful and redefine your sense of style.

Kate is a sophomore at DePauw University studying Religious Studies and Education. Kate is a first year mentor and campus tour guide and is involved with Dance Marathon, Grounded/ Coffee & Christ, and Alpha Chi Omega. Kate loves dance parties and collecting fun earrings.
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!