Do You Ride the Wave or Make the Wave?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Why it’s Okay to Ride Waves and Make them

So I had lunch with a friend today and told him I have such a huge problem with being prompt and on time for things; for some reason these days it seems so hard to be punctual. I’m not used to living my life by a schedule and college is my first time ever really having to plan out my days by the hour and create a routine. I like to live spontaneously because as my mom has always told me, “if you wanna make God laugh, make plans.” So I think I find it hard to make commitments because I don’t want to end up disappointing anyone. But here’s why living like this isn’t always a bad thing!

People that Ride the Wave

The people that ride the wave are tactical and strategic. They know what moves they need to make and how to make them. They are Type A and need to know what’s happening and when its going down. These people are very organized and seem like they really have their lives together because “they go hard.” I believe these people come to college with a plan and execute it. I envy these people. Congratulations on waking up earlier than you have to, for going to the gym, for showering, for going to class and getting everything done. Thank you for your productivity and for showing me what kind of benefits that hard work can reap. For example, these people walk into an interview having prepped for it days in advance, have all of their paperwork organized alphabetically and have a great resume. These people hate changing plans last minute and depend on some type of schedule to get through. This shows dedication and logic, however you’re also stubborn to change. An employer is going to love you and you may have less trouble finding work this way because you’re prepared for whatever.

People that Make the Wave

As my friend pointed out to me, I’m much more of a no deadlines type of person. This paper in fact is overdue, but I love being on my own and making my own decisions. I don’t like sticking to the mold and I like to do everything according to when it can happen, not because someone said so. He suggested I be an entrepreneur, which is something I consider frequently. These people make life happen kind of serendipitously. I think these people use positive energy and the laws to motivate themselves to work. For example people like this probably didn’t prep at all for their interview because they trust themselves to be put on the spot and be able to just come up with something. This means you are creative and adaptable, however you’re also flaky. They have their documents in the order they assume they’re going to need it in, and they may not have an impressive resume. These people are not so much prepared for whatever as much as they are ready for whatever.

Balance

What I’ve come to understand is that its important to find balance in all you do, and its okay to be one more than the other. I want to aim to be like an ambivert and just have that perfect ration of important characteristics. Some people ride the wave, some people make the wave. Some live life according to plan, and others live spontaneously. Each person has her own benefits and downfalls to these tactics of living and neither is wrong. I walked into the Hubbard Center one time and needed help with a resume because I was never taught to really make one because I never really had to. The person I talked with was the Emperor of Douchebaggery and was really condescending to my style, because I didn’t know how to make a resume, thus life would be hard for me.

This is an unfair assumption. I don’t come from a place where that kind of stuff was talked about, so I lived my life according to a general goal and maneuvered my way through life in many different ways to make it to the same position he had once been in. I looked at this person sitting behind his desk and I thought “you have an office job, and that’s fine you don’t have to be rich to be considered successful, but don’t insinuate that someone can’t be just AS successful as you because of their  resume.”

What I’m saying is regardless of whether you ride the wave or make it, don’t let anyone tell you you’re wrong for the way you handle yourself in your lifetime because there is not necessarily always a right and wrong way to carry yourself or get places. If it works for you, do it, and then do it better. You only have to be your own standard of a bad bitch, not what others tell you a bad bitch should be. Follow your bliss and do what brings out the happy in you, do whatever you need to do to be successful in life and don’t let anyone’s negative energy steal the positive in you. Have a successful and proactive April!

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.