This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Last week, Wednesday, Oct. 29th, the Panhellenic Council and the Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation joined forces to bring Stacy Nadeau, one of the original models from the Dove “Real Beauty” campaign, to DePauw to discuss real beauty with the women on campus. This campaign started in 2004 after a poll was taken that showed only 2% of women considered themselves beautiful. This shocking percentage had many marketing researchers stunned. How could only 2% of women see themselves as beautiful?

The Dove Real Beauty Campaign’s goal is “to create a world where beauty is a source of confidence and not anxiety”. It wants women of all body types and looks to see them as beautiful.

Junior Katie Stack and Senior Kelsey Stein helped make this program possible by organizing and inviting Stacy to speak to the women on campus. They encouraged the Panhellenic Chapters to spread the news of this event to as many first years and non-Greek students as possible. The discussion of “Real Beauty” is such an important one that everyone should be a part of. Kelsey also sent an email out to all of the Panhellenic Chapters welcoming them to participate in two opportunities to support the cause.

The first opportunity was for Panhellenic Chapters to cover the mirrors in their houses with white paper and to hang markers or pens on them.  Each time someone passed the mirror and was tempted to look in them they would then write a tally. The belief behind this was to make women more aware of the amount of times they look in the mirror on a daily basis.

The second opportunity was the challenge for women not to wear makeup on Wednesday to support the cause and the write a #DPUrealbeauty on some sort of social media. If you check out the hash tag you can see some of these beautiful images! 

Stacy was an amazing motivational speaker and really opened my eyes to see what true beauty is. I could not help but smile while she was talking because she was so inspirational and was the kind of person that you just want to be her friend! This event had a HUGE turnout and really impacted all of the women who attended the discussion.