Dear Debbie DePauw: Joined a Greek House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Dear Debbie,

As you might know, rush recently happened at DePauw and I joined a house. At the moment I chose it, that house seemed to really fit me. Now I’m not so sure. I’m worried I got caught up in the moment, and I’m envious of the other houses my friends choose or even didn’t choose. So my question is, how do I stay confident in my Greek decision?

Sincerely,

Confused

Dear Confused,

First off I want to say congrats for joining a house! It’s definitely a hard decision to choose a family for the next three years, based off of three days of awkward interviews and social interactions. But you’re not alone! Those girls (or guys) in your pledge class are probably having similar thoughts. Talk to them, the upperclassmen in your house and your other friends. I also want to point out that you’ve been a part of that house for a barely two weeks; what you’re experiencing right now is not what you’re going to experience for three years. Right now you’re new and probably don’t know too many people in the house. As the year progresses you’ll make more friends and feel way more comfortable. For now keep your head up, go to the philanthropy events and don’t be scared to get involved! I think you’ll remember why you choose that house to begin with.

I also want to send a shout out to all the independents and say welcome to the GDI Club (I am also a proud member)! Even though I choose to be independent I can’t say I was saved from the envy bug. Right now I imagine some of you might be feeling it and I’m here to tell you that the FOMO will not last forever. Your friends are caught up in the radiance of being in a house because it’s new. That’s all. When things calm down you won’t even notice if they’re in a house (except for you getting the good study spots on chapter Mondays!). Grab a group of fellow GDIs and go out to dinner during philanthropy events that take your other friends away. You honestly can’t begin to imagine the GDI network we have going on here so go find them! As for Greek friends, grin and bear it for now because in a month houses are going to be old news.  

Best wishes,

Debbie DePauw

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.