This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

It’s formal season… and that means cooler making. With final presentations and exams coming up, we barely have enough time to think let alone channel our inner Picasso. Still, a little crafting never killed anyone, so might as well take a break and do a little painting. Here is your ultimate guide to cooler making!

1. Pick a cooler: Any kind will work, but the more nooks and crannies you have to deal with, the harder.

*Note: If you want a cooler with wheels and a telescoping handle, look for one that the features can be easily removed.

2. Sand your cooler: This is literally the most important step. The better you sand the cooler, the better the paint will stick. At this point you can sand off any raised logo that you don’t want on your cooler, but be careful not to sand through the plastic and make a whole. However, if you do this by mistake, anything is fixable.

*Note: It is a good idea to find a power sander to use. If you have to buy one, they aren’t very expensive and can be useful for all your other craft projects.

3. Fill recessed logos: This is optional but logos can really take away from your design. I have found that Bondo (used for car repairs) sands easily and comes in a variety of sizes. For small jobs, 3M Bondo Bumper & flexible Part Repair is perfect to fill small logos, but if you need to fill a large space, buy a big can. Just follow the directions on the product.

* Note: This product is very strong smelling, so don’t do this indoors if at all possible.

4. Prime: This is the next most important important step. Use a white or grey spray primer made for plastic. Don’t forget to tape off any areas that you don’t want painted like the handles.

*Note: You may want to do this twice if you will be painting your cooler a light background color. It is better to do it twice than to spray the paint on thick.

5. Paint your cooler: Now is the fun part. You can use a variety of acrylic craft paints, sharpies markers, and paint markers. It is best to lay on the background color first and work from there. If you plan on using sharpies or paint markers over the paint, apply a layer of waterproof Mod Podge over the paint first. Drawing directly on a painted area tend to pull off the paint with the marker. Make sure you allow plenty of drying time inbetween layers.

*Note: There are lots of tricks to getting a great design on your cooler if art is not your strong point. Sketch or print or your design. Color the back of the design with a pencil. Tape onto the cooler with painter’s tape. Trace over the design, and the image will come off onto your cooler. After you fill in the design with paint, wipe off any smudged pencil marks. If you plan on outlining with sharpies, Mod Podge first. You can even Mod Podge on a printed image or cut letters.

6. Finish with varnish: When you are finally done with painting your cooler, protect you master peace with a couple of coats of non yellowing, spray varnish (either satin or gloss).

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.