Chelsea Conrad ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Her Campus was not able to sit down with Chelsea because she was in Germany! However thanks to technology, we were still able to hear about what she had been doing while abroad.

Her Campus: Hey Chelsea! We haven’t seen you in awhile! How have you been?

Chelsea: I’ve been doing well and loving every minute of it!

HC: What are you doing in Germany?

CC: I am in Berlin this semester for my Management Fellows Internship with LNE Group.

HC: What’s the thing you miss most about being at DePauw during the fall?

CC: My friends! I miss seeing them everyday and hearing how they’re doing, but FaceTime helps a ton!

HC: What has been your favorite place to go to so far?

CC: I traveled to Saumur, France to visit a former host family, and it was one of the best weekends of my life. It was so incredible to see them because, even after three years, their house felt like home.

HC: What is your biggest accomplishment since you’ve been in Germany?

CC: Honestly, it’s just being here. I came to Berlin completely independent from a study abroad program, and I had to learn how to get a visa, find a place to live and navigate a new city all on my own. I’ll never forget arriving in Berlin with just two suitcases and asking myself what I just did. Looking back now, I’m just amazed at how much I’ve learned, and I’m so grateful to be here.

HC: You mentioned having to find your own place to live. If you don’t mind telling us, what is your living situation?

CC: So this is a great question because I found my living arrangement through Facebook. I was given a budget and encouraged to join Facebook groups to find a place to live. Berlin’s real estate market has only recently been booming, so I found myself spending hours locating a flat. Thankfully, I got really lucky and found incredible people. I’m living in a flat with Annie, Nancy, and Acacia from the US, Tanya, from India and Paula from Ecuador. It’s so fun to live together, but sometimes there is a lot of grownup stuff, like grocery shopping.

HC: Is this your first time being in Germany?

CC: Yes! This is my first time in Germany.  The European office is headquartered in Berlin.

HC: How was Oktober Fest?

CC: It was tremendous! I met up with DePauw people who were also abroad, and we had so much fun. We met happy people from all over the world, and I even ran into a friend from high school.

HC: Any other exciting things you have done in Germany that you would like to talk about?

CC: I’ve been obsessed with traveling on my free days. Since the public transportation system is so affordable, I’ve visited eleven cities since I’ve been in Europe.

HC: That’s so fun! Well thank you for talking with me!

I hate writing, but I love Her Campus DePauw!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.