Celebrities Accused of Sexual Assault in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

In case you live under a rock, 2017 was the year of #MeToo, shortly followed by the #TimesUp movement founded January 1st, 2018. This year, women spoke out and shared their survival stories surrounding rape and sexual assault. At the Golden Globes, many celebrities sported a black and white “Time’s Up” pin in order to show support for the recent initiative started by female actresses, agents, writers, directors and entertainment executives designed to fight sexual misconduct across the country. And so you’ve probably heard many male celebrities are being accused of rape and harassment. Here are a few:

1. James Franco: Franco was accused of sexually inappropriate behavior by 5 women. Accusations occurred after he wore a Time’s Up pin himself at the Golden Globes. Many victims were former students at Franco’s acting school. Some Tweeted in response: 

2. Nick Carter: Carter was accused of raping Melissa Shuman in 2002. Shuman says that Carter, drunk, forcibly performed oral sex and then raped her after she repeatedly told him she was waiting until marriage. Carter denies this claim.

3. Ed Westwick: Gossip Girl’s Chuck Bass, Ed Westwick, was accused of rape in a Facebook post written by Kristina Cohen. Westwick has denied knowing Cohen. Two days later, another female actress came out with a similar story.

4. Ryan Seacrest: A former wardrobe stylist at E! accused Seacrest of behaving inappropriately. E! is currently still investigating, and Seacrest later said, “If I made her feel anything but respected, I am truly sorry.”

5. Ben Affleck: Actress Hilarie Burton accused Affleck of groping her in a 2003 interview. Affleck tweeted an apology to Burton, but did not do so when another woman accused him of the same thing.

6. R. Kelly: R. Kelly’s ex-girlfriend, Kitti Jones, accused R. Kelly of physically abusing her and forcing her to have sex with other women. The claims have been denied.

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!