A Buzzer Beating Lesson in DPU Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

A Buzzer Beating Lesson in DPU Spirit

Anyone who’s anyone lined the bleachers last Friday and Saturday night to cheer on the Lady Tigers in the NCAA tournament at the Lilly Pad. The student section was popping with cheers and posters, an exhilarating band, and tons of Tiger Pride. If for some strange reason you decided to leave the bubble this weekend, don’t fret! I have your play-by-play.

The number four seated women’s basketball team started off the tournament battling the Westminster Blue Jays on Friday, March 2nd. The Blue Jays entered the tournament with a 22-5 record against our own 27-2. The game went back and forth the entire first half, and it was a true nail-biter.

DePauw jumped up to a 10-3 lead in the opening five minutes of the game and expanded the margin at 23-12 on Ali Ross’ layup with 4:41 remaining on the clock. The Tigers still held a 27-17 advantage after Savannah Trees knocked in a three-pointer with 2:28 left in the half. At halftime, the score was 27-26 (DPU leading, rightfully so!) and there was no way I was leaving before I saw the end of this game.

The Lady Tigers pushed even farther ahead with big points from Kate Walker and Katie Aldrich; yet, we were at a 45-41 lead with only 9 minutes left in the game. Needless to say, I was starting to sweat a little bit and cheering even louder. The Tigers erupted with newfound energy and scored the game’s final 10 points with a 66-46 victory. Priceless ladies, priceless.

Their advancement to the second round of the tournament brought about changes in Flower-In times to cheer on our sisters, and a joining of the Carthage and DePauw pep bands. Quite impressive, huh?

And if I said Friday’s game was a nail-biter, you gals have NO IDEA how intense the second round game was. The lead flip-flopped back and forth the whole game with each team leading for short portions. Carthage scraped away a close victory after an amazing game with intense leadership scoring by Kate Walker and Ellie Pearson. The Lady Tigers handled this defeat so well and were given a standing ovation from the entire Neal Fieldhouse.

No matter the outcome of this weekend, one thing was so very obvious—Tiger Pride runs deep and true in all of our hearts. I myself had two prospies (ahem, prospective students) visiting, and they both exclaimed how pumped they were to be joining this community in the fall.

From painted fans to frat boys dressed in their Sunday best post-Flower-In, it was apparent that the Lady Tigers won in our eyes. They reminded us how important school unity really is. It shouldn’t take an NCAA championship to attract fans; our athletes deserve to shine in front of their peers all the time!

The women’s basketball season was one for the books, especially for the two graduating seniors, Katie Aldrich and Kathryn Denbow; surely they will be forever proud. Great job, DePauw women’s basketball—we couldn’t be more proud to back you up on this awesome journey! May this be the beginning of a wave of school spirit!

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.