Beware: This Article May Turn You into a Shopaholic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Whenever I see the big red block letters beckoning to me from the façade of a commercial building, I am immediately drawn through the automatic double doors. TJ Maxx is my favorite place to shop. The chain obtains their clothing from high quality brands who have overstock (and blesses us with lower prices on brand new clothes!) (No–I’m not kidding. Yes, it’s legal.)

TJ Maxx is a notch above the rest when it comes to clothing stores. Just come prepared to spend several hours looking: garments are only sorted by size. You won’t find racks of the same style and all different sizes like at most clothing stores. TJ Maxx is more similar to the layout of a thrift shop, like Goodwill, except all the clothes are brand new! It is time-consuming, but I promise you, if you take the time to sift through each rack with care, a treasure awaits.

If you have the time, it is fun to go into TJ Maxx with no particular ideas in mind for the types of clothing you would like to add to your wardrobe. However, if you are on a time crunch, I have developed a science to finding what you need without spending more than an hour.

Clothes are sorted by size and type, so there is a section for workout clothes, a section for sweaters, a section for jeans… you get the idea. When you walk in, head straight for the section that contains what you need–DO NOT allow yourself to be distracted by the rest of the store. Once you are in the section with the type of garment you need, I like to focus on color. If you have a few colors in mind, it is easier to hunt for garments that match that color than to look through each and every piece of clothing. This is a fool-proof way to find what you are looking for without spending hours perusing.

Another rule I live by (and you should, too) is to NEVER leave TJ without at least taking a quick glimpse at the shoes. Nearly every pair of shoes I own come from TJ. Just like everything else in the store, they are of high quality, but at a low price. And never forget, if you’ve looked through everything in the store and still aren’t satisfied, head over to TJ’s sister store (is that a thing?), Marshalls!