Best and Most Affordable Online Places to Buy Formal Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Spring formal season is right around the corner, whether it is for your sorority, your friend’s sorority or fraternity or a school organization you may be a part of. If you are anything like me, you start thinking about formal and what you are going to wear well in advance. However, it can be difficult to find places that have exactly what you are looking for that are affordable on a college student budget. While Free People is my favorite store ever and I always look there first for my formal dresses, I feel my heart sink when I find a dress I love and see the price is $250+. So, if you find yourself encountering this same problem, here are my top five favorite places to shop online for formal that always have cute, affordable dresses.                   

#5: ASOS has a wide variety of dresses, including a range of styles and colors. However, because it is a British online fashion website, I recommend allowing a little extra time for shipping. ASOS also occasionally has some pretty solid deals (as I am writing this, they are having a 50% off sale). They also have free shipping – gotta love that – and students get 10% off! Perks of being a college student, ladies.  #4:TOBI has styles for every occasion, especially formals. They also have good sales from time to time (just like ASOS, they are currently having a 50% off sale on dresses) AND if you subscribe to TOBI, you can get 50% off your first order! It is all about finding the deals! Additionally, they have free shipping over $50 and free returns.

#3:FRANCESCA’S is a cute boutique that is both a store and online shop. This is a plus because you have the opportunity to go in and try on their clothing to find a perfect fit and style. Prices are reasonable, and they usually have sale going on, too. I have also had a lot of luck looking at their sale/clearance racks! Not only do they have clothing, but they also have shoes and tons of cute jewelry to throw in the cart with your new outfit!

#2:LULU’S has always been one of my favorites, because it has so many options. It is also super affordable, and shipping is free if you spend over $50. When looking for dresses, LULU’S gives the option to shop by occasion, style, color and trend. As you can see, they make it incredibly easy to filter dresses to narrow your search down to exactly what you are looking for.

#1:HELLO MOLLY FASHION is my most recent find online, and it quickly became one of my favorites for sure. Their dresses are so cute, and they have a wide variety of styles to satisfy everyone. My best friend likes the shorter, more form-fitting dresses while I am a fan of loose and flowy dresses. We both found dresses for our formals on this website that were perfect for us. I would definitely recommend it! Be sure to check out the sale section, too!

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.