This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I know everyone is dreading the cold, snowy weather, but that just means it’s award season! And award season means style and fashion, which gives ME something to talk about! In honor of Black History Month, I will briefly discuss some of the greatest looks by the most phenomenal and talented black beauties.      

THE GRAMMYS

Janelle Monáe

Janelle Monae rocks this sculptural, geometric dress designed by Jean Paul Gaultier. She is most known for her out-of-the-ordinary retro looks. I think it is safe to say this definitely qualifies as another beautiful piece. Her deep V-cut dress consists of several feathery layers, while the shoulders hover over her and a gold headpiece rests atop her head.

Michelle Obama

Listen, I love Alicia Keys; however, I am here for Michelle and slightly screamed when I saw her surprise the crowd. Even though she did not make a grand entrance on the red carpet, the former FLOTUS shined (literally) on the stage with Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez and Jada Pinkett Smith in her sparkly Sachin & Babi jumpsuit. The women spoke about what it means to be a woman in the spotlight, resulting in a standing ovation. I mean, who wouldn’t stand for Michelle?

Cardi B

In her pearls and a vintage Thierry Mugler couture piece from 1995, Cardi B walked down the red carpet looking like an actual pearl out of an oyster. The dark outer layer of the dress makes her nude and pink center really pop. She later won Best Rap Album of the year. Coincidence? I think not.

THE GOLDEN GLOBES

Lupita Nyong’o

As if the baby blue dress Lupita Nyong’o wore to the Oscars a few years back wasn’t enough, here we are again with another exquisite look too astonishing for words! At the 2019 Golden Globes, Nyong’o worked the red carpet in Calvin Klein By Appointment. The contrast between her dark complexion and the bright colors in her dresses consistently creates a look more beautiful than the last!

Danai Gurira

Lastly, we mostly see her slaying zombies, but at the Golden Globes, Danai Gurira was slaying in a whole other context. The Walking Dead star stepped on to the red carpet looking stunning in a Rodarte red dress alongside her Black Panther co-stars. The red and orange piece consisted of a large, silky bow on her shoulder that followed behind Gurira. The bold red lip and the fiery colors of her dress really helped her stand out alongside her colleagues on the red carpet. Black Panther cast for Best Dressed! 

Sara Dabisch

DePauw '22

Hi! I'm a Senior Neuroscience major and Kinesiology minor and I love to listen to music, read books, and paint!
Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!