Ask Debbie DePauw: Major Dilemma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Dear Debbie,

I’m a sophomore and the deadline for declaring a major is coming up soon. So far I’m really interested in two totally different areas, and I’m torn!! So my question is, how do I pick a major?

Ah yes I remember sophomore year and the pressure of declaring like it was yesterday. To be young again! Just kidding but I, as well as many others, can relate to what you’re feeling right now. I came into college knowing what I wanted to major in but there were some classes I took that made me contemplate, briefly, of changing my major. Here are a few things I tried to keep in mind when it came time for my friends and I to declare.

1. Follow your interests: If you’ve taken a sociology course and totally enjoyed it, take another one and see how it goes! Sophomore year is helpful in that you can get into second level classes to see if you want to continue in a certain track. If two departments interest you, continue to take classes in them until you can rule them out (or in!)
  2. Think ahead: You can skip this step but I like to keep this in the back of my mind. What can you do with this major? What could you see yourself doing, or possibly doing? Do some research and don’t be afraid to ask your freshmen year advisor if this is something you’re considering!
  3. Internships: Internships and volunteering are great ways to see if this major is something you want to pursue. Seeing and partaking in the action is a total 180 for learning in class. It’s never too early to try your hand at a future career.
  4. Interact with professors: Don’t underestimate the power of your professors! Let them know you’re considering it and have concerns/ questions and talk to them about it. They, more than anyone, are going to know your options. Special note I think it takes a great professor who gets you interested and passionate about a subject field that makes for a great major!   
  5. Double Major: If you really can’t decide and see yourself in one separate track, consider double majoring. It takes a lot of work and planning to make this happen but there are people and resources at school to help you!

* Something I really want to stress here is that YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR MAJOR!! This decision will not make or break you! If you decide a major and in a semester or a year you can always declare something else. For now, take your mind and see what piques your interest but know that there are always other options for you! I hope this helps!

-Debbie

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.