Style > Beauty

A Winter Makeover: The Everday “Cold-Girl” Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The winter months can be extremely brutal on my physical appearance, as with the season comes a seasonal sadness that can sometimes influence me to let myself go. For me, a little make-up goes a long way in lifting my spirits during such a depressing season, and so here is my guide to my flawless “cold girl” winter makeup routine and a list of the products used to achieve the look. 

1. Airspun Loose Face Powder
  2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade
  3. e.l.f. Stay All Day Blue Light Setting Spray 
  4. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Stunna Lip Paint Longwear Fluid Lip Color
  5. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Hydrating Longwear Foundation
  6. HUDA Beauty LEGIT LASHES Double-Ended Volumizing and Lengthening Mascara
  7. IT Cosmetics Color Correcting Cream
  8. LA GIRL PERFECT PRECISION LIP LINER 
  9. Maybelline Super Stay Up to 24HR Hybrid Powder-Foundation
  10. NYX Bare With Me Aloe & Cucumber Extract Primer & Setting Spray
  11. NYX Butter Gloss Non-Sticky Lip Gloss

You could say the makeup routine begins where my skincare routine ends–with sealing a layer of NYX Bare With Me Multitasking Primer & Setting. I first do my eyebrows using the waterproof Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow pomade in “Ebony” to lightly fill in my eyebrows. I love to use the IT Cosmetics Color Correcting Cream in “Rich Honey” to smoothly conceal my brows because of its hydrating, anti-aging serum and SPF. I also place this product on my under eyes because of how delicate and dry the skin can become with the harshness of winter’s cold air. Next, I spray another layer of setting spray and I use my fingers to place one pump of my hydrating foundation, Fenty Beauty’s Pro Filt’r Hydrating Longwear Foundation, on my face. 

I dampen my beauty blender with cold water and start blending the concealer on my eyelids and under eyes with the tip of my beauty blender. Then, I use the wider bottom of my beauty blender to blend my foundation with the concealed areas for an even color. Once again, I seal with another layer of setting spray and while it dries I use Huda Beauty’s Legit Lashes Double-Ended Volumizing and Lengthening Mascara (a heaven-sent mascara that evenly thickens and lengthens my lashes) for my lashes. I am sure to set my under eyes using a bit of translucent powder from the Airspun Loose Face Powder, famous for its anti-flashback effect. After, I go in with an unconventional use of lip stain as blush on my cheekbones with a tiny dot of Fenty Beauty’s Lip Stain in the perfectly, universal red color called “Uncensored.” Due to my pear-shaped face, I swipe the product in an upward motion using my blush brush for a snatched, sculpted cheekbone. I love using this lip stain as a blush because of its vibrancy on my brown skin and because it doesn’t easily fade away like other cream or powder blushes I’ve used in the past. 

In regards to eyeshadow and contouring, I personally don’t find it to be necessary for an everyday look so if I’m in a hurry I skip it. If I’m not in a hurry, I’d still skip contour but I’d usually warm my eyes with a neutral toned brown from any eyeshadow palette. My lips, however, will always be lined and glossed. For my lips, I like the LA GIRL PERFECT PRECISION LIP LINER in colors “berry wine” and “chocolate.” I combine “chocolate” and NYX butter gloss in “angel food cake” with any clear gloss for an extra glossy nude lip. I then dust off the face powder from my under eyes for a finishing layer of Maybelline’s Super Stay Full Coverage Powder Foundation and e.l.f. ‘s Stay All Day Blue Light Setting Spray for its protective blue light blocking-infused ingredients. These last two products help to achieve the “cold girl makeup” matte finish for a long-lasting, everyday look.