8 Motivational Songs for Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Whether you’re looking for a song to wake up to in the morning, one to listen to as you walk to class, or something with a good beat for working out, we all need some musical motivation sometimes. If you’re searching for some Monday morning tunes, or just trying to update your playlist, here are some upbeat bops that will get you ready to take on the day!

1. What About Us – P!nk

When I first heard this song, I immediately felt like I could go out and fight all of the injustice in the world. Most of P!nk’s earlier songs (“Raise Your Glass”, “So What”) make me want to dance, so it’s no surprise that this one does as well.

Best Lyric: “Sticks and stones they may break these bones, but then I’ll be ready, are you ready?”

2. Work This Body – Walk The Moon

One of my friends recently re-introduced me to Walk The Moon, and listening to “Work This Body” never fails to get me ready for a morning workout (or even those exhausting walks back to my room after a full day of classes). This song is honestly perfect for any time you feel low on energy (or sleep).

Best Lyric: “I will work this body, I will burn this flame, oh in the dead of night, and in the pouring rain”

3. Go Big Or Go Home – American Authors

The vibe you get from this song is basically, “we might as well get stuff done today, so let’s make it fun.” With a nice beat, some banjo, and harmonies that mimic “Best Day of My Life”, you’ll love jamming to this wherever you are.

Best Lyric: “It’s getting crazy, we’re gonna do some things that we won’t forget. Go big or go home”

4. Fire Under My Feet – Leona Lewis

This one is a recommendation from a friend, and the beat, lyrics, and melody make it a total girl power song. It’s something to listen to motivate you before you study and will make you feel ready to take on anything the world throws at you.

Best Lyric: “Step by step, ain’t looking back, got no regrets, ‘cause I got fire under my feet”

5. You Are Enough – Sleeping at Last

Anyone who knows me knows that I listen to Sleeping at Last 24/7, so it’s no surprise that I included a song on this list. Best known for their chill songs with amazing instrumentation, as well as covers of popular songs (their cover of “500 Miles” was used in a 2015 Budweiser Super Bowl ad, and it is an emotional roller coaster), “You Are Enough” is a great song that will help you recharge after a long day.

Best Lyric: “You are enough, these little words, somehow they’re changing us”

6. Walking on Sunshine – Katrina & the Waves

I’m pretty sure everyone has heard this song at least once, but I felt like I had to include it because it’s overlooked when we make our “getting ready” playlists. This is the perfect jam to dance around to before a night out or that wonderful moment when you finish the last page of your paper.

Best Lyric: “I’m walking on sunshine, and don’t it feel good?”

7. DNA. – Kendrick Lamar

If you’re someone who likes to listen to rap over other genres of music, don’t worry. In “DNA”, the steady beats and ambition will get you ready to do anything. If you’re already a fan of Kendrick Lamar, you’ll definitely enjoy this.

Best Lyric: “I got power, poison, pain and joy inside my DNA, I got hustle though, ambition flow inside my DNA”

8. Are You Gonna Be My Girl – Jet

This song was apparently in Flushed Away, which surprised me because I haven’t seen that movie, but I definitely associate this song with my childhood. This is the kind of song that you would expect to be in a stereotypical teen movie when the protagonist is dancing around the room (prime example: the opening scene of Camp Rock), so embrace your inner 2000s girl and start your day off with this jam.

Best Lyric: “Take my hand and come with me, because you look so fine that I really wanna make you mine”

Hi, I'm Ashley! I'm currently a senior at DePauw, where I'm majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Psychology and Computer Science. I'm from Dayton, Ohio, and I love swimming, Marvel movies, and exploring the outdoors!