8 Great Hiking Locations Near Greencastle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

It is finally fall in Greencastle, which means the weather is perfect for spending anywhere from an hour to a whole day out hiking and enjoying the changing seasons. There are many places within a variety of ranges from Greencastle to get out and enjoy how beautiful Indiana is in the fall.

1. Morgan-Monroe State Forest

Photo by Indiana Government Forestry

1 hour and 7 minutes from DePauw University

This State Forest covers over 20,000 acres of land and has almost 30 miles of trails for hiking. If you’re looking for a weekend getaway, there are also camping sites located along the back trails.

2. Eagle Creek Park

Photo by Expedia

57 minutes from DePauw University

Located in Indianapolis, Eagle Creek Park is close enough to the city to make a whole day out of Indy activities. Named for the bald eagles that can frequently be seen flying overhead, the park has been around since 1939 and has many trails that are popular with runners and bikers. The park also offers ziplining and kayaking, depending on the weather.

3. Shades State Park

Photo by Stephanie Cain

40 minutes from DePauw University

In my opinion, Shades State Park has some of the most beautiful hiking trails in the state. Near Crawfordsville, it’s completely worth the drive. There is no camping available in Shades State Park, but sites are available in Turkey Run, which is very close by.

4. Turkey Run State Park

Photo by Turkey Run State Park

46 minutes from DePauw University

Turkey Run is famous for its beautiful trails and bridges, one of which is pictured above. During the summer. Turkey Run is a great place to go kayaking, canoeing, or tubing. If you have an interest in geology, wildlife, or environmental sciences in general, you should consider checking out the Nature Center at Turkey Run.

5. Vandalia Rail Trail

Photo by Hendricks County Parks

37 minutes from DePauw University

Located near Plainfield, this is one of the most beautiful hiking or walking locations in Hendricks County. There are paved areas of the trail where you can frequently spot bikers at all times of day.

6. Fern Cliff Nature Preserve

Photo by Indiana Naturally

18 minutes from DePauw University

Close enough to DePauw to only spend a short amount of time here, Fern Cliff Nature Park could make a great study break location. This location is truly a hidden dream in Greencastle.

7. McCormick’s Creek State Park

Photo by McCormick’s Creek State Park

41 minutes from DePauw University

This Indiana state park beautifully showcases our state’s limestone. A fun fact about this location: McCormick’s Creek was Indiana’s first state park!

8. Cataract Falls

Photo by Go Waterfalling

29 minutes from DePauw University

Cataract Falls has been around since 1820. With two sets of falls and several covered bridges, this location perfectly exhibits the beauty of fall.

Fall is a great time for Indiana to showcase its features, beyond flat roads and cornfields. Winter will be here before you know it; I highly recommend packing up some friends and enjoying the beautiful scenery before it gets too cold.