7 Fall Break 2018 Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Already planning your fall break getaway? Look no further. While Greencastle, IN, may not be the ideal destination for October relaxation, there are plenty road trip-accessible destinations for your mid-semester escape.

1. Nashville, Tennessee

Image by The Tennessean

Although Nashville is the home of country music, you do not have to be a country music fan to enjoy this beautiful city. There are many options for shopping, including stores of 8th Avenue South and the eclectic shops of the Gulch neighborhood. Historians in your group will be interested in several Nashville mansions, such as Belle Meade Plantation and the Hermitage, former home of President Andrew Jackson.

2. Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Image by Jason Fisherman

Our second Tennessee destination on the list, Gatlinburg is one of the ultimate fall break destinations. Gatlinburg is home to a host of tourist attractions, such as Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies, the Gatlinburg Sky Lift, and Ober Gatlinburg. For the outdoor enthusiast in your group, the Smokey Mountains provide many different camping and hiking opportunities for those of all capabilities.

3. Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Image by Visit Lancaster, PA

Although Lancaster appears to be a quiet farm city with little hustle, it is actually one of the top 100 metropolitan cities in the United States. Lancaster is known for Long’s Park, which holds 80 acres of outdoor activities including a lake, petting zoo, and many green spaces.

4. Charleston, South Carolina

Image by Charleston CVB

Charleston is a coastal community full of history, good food, and shopping opportunities. While the beaches may be a little chilly in October, there are still many opportunities for fall kayaking and boat tours. Seafood is a popular option in Charleston, with many restaurants competing for the top oyster dish in the city.

5. Katy Trail, Missouri

Image by Katy Trail

Katy Trail is 237 miles long, providing opportunities for bikers and hikers alike to explore Missouri with a beautiful fall backdrop. Many wineries are located along Katy Trail, and most of the trail follows Lewis and Clark’s path up the Missouri River.

6. Boston, Massachusetts

Image by Grandview Aviation

Boston is certainly the most history-rich option on this list. Dozens of popular parks and playgrounds are scattered throughout the city, such as Franklin Park and Boston Public Garden. Boston also provides opportunities for whale watching and boat tours.

7. Mackinac Island, Michigan

Image by Visit the USA

Mackinac Island contains both lakes and forests, as well as many notable rock scenes. Arch Rock, the McGulpin House, and Fort Holmes are all popular destinations on this quaint island that has proven to be just as in enjoyable in October as it is in June.