5 Things That Are Getting Me Through Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

There’s no denying it. This time is weird, especially for college students! I’m not saying I’m a pro at this, or that I’m out here having a great time. I hate being cooped up in my house, away from my friends. But there are some things that I’ve found that are helping me a lot right now, and I wanted to share!

Having a Project

What projects have you been meaning to do, but haven’t gotten around to? If you frequently read my articles, you know that my family moved from Texas to Maryland this past year. The room where all my stuff was put was a room I didn’t wind up loving, and after hanging out in my room for a few weeks, I realized I wanted to be in a different room. My room was a really strange shape, and it was kind of dark. So, I moved all my stuff into a different, sunnier room in our house. After ordering a few things to put up on the walls to give the room more personality, I feel much more at home here. Maybe you don’t want to move any furniture, but you’ve been meaning to do something else, like start a blog or a Youtube channel, maybe you’ve been meaning to go through your things and donate some of them. Whatever it is, having a project to do will give you something to do that’s not school, and will give you a sense of productivity.

p.s. this is not my room 

Giving Myself Task and Staying Productive 

Being at home is so strange when I’m in school. I think for most of us, our bodies are programmed to relax at home. Assigning tasks for myself to do each day helps! At the beginning of the week, I look at everything I need to accomplish for school, and try to spread my work out so that I don’t wind up doing it all in one day towards the end of the week. Not only does this keep me from procrastinating too much, but it also gives me something to do everyday, and gives me a sense of purpose. I feel better at the end of every day, knowing that I’ve continued to work towards my goals of earning good grades.

Keeping in Contact with Friends

I’m sure you’ve heard by now that it’s very important to keep in touch with your friends and loved ones. While I’ve made sure to call and text friends, I’ve found that FaceTime and Snapchat are even better. Being able to see my friend’s face with their message, or see them and hear their voice at the same time is a lot better!

Listening to Music That Make Me Happy

A few years ago, I started a spotify playlist for a 16 hour drive I had to make. It was all upbeat music that I loved. As time went on, I added to it, and now it’s over 24 hours long. I can listen to it all day long, and not hear any song twice! I would strongly recommend mood boosting music. At least for me, it feels like a little bit of a brain trick. If you like upbeat country, pop and oldies, go ahead and check out my playlist! 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3yVeKpmXtUHtdUbmxG1BfL?si=9q83SRNySp-XHpTVEjf8hQ

Staying Organized

This might sound silly, but something I’ve always done when my outside world gets crazy is manage what I can. By keeping track of my schoolwork and tasks I need to do in my planner and keeping my space around me neat, I become more in control of my immediate surroundings.

It’s important to remember that everyone is going to experience this time differently. It seems as though there is a huge push to use this time to be productive right now, but this may not work for everybody. Life is crazy and seemingly uncontrollable right now, but it’s important to remember that we are in control of how we use this time. Whether you choose to relax and recharge, work to meet your goals or do things you’ve been meaning to do, this time can be beneficial for all of us!

Jackie Ebel

DePauw '21

Jackie is a current senior communication major at DePauw University in Indiana. She's lived in Massachusetts, Texas, and Maryland. She loves swimming, ice chai lattes, and the band Walk the Moon. Jackie is the editor for the profile and features sections of DePauw's branch of HerCampus.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.