This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As Halloween grows closer and closer, it’s time to put on some horror films in order to get yourself in the mood. Slashers are fun, but maybe it’s time to check out some other horrors in order to scare yourself. Here are some of my favorite surreal horror films which will definitely leave you with chills.

A Field In England (2013)

If you’re an English history buff, this is the film for you, if not, no worries, just look up reviews on this film afterward about how the characters depicted different sides of the English civil war. Other than that this black and white film tackles the idea of blind following and psychedelics and mixes it together into a strange ride from start to finish. The first time I watched this film was with one of my best friends at midnight, and all we could say afterward was “What?” There are amazing visuals and sequences that even now I can’t stop thinking about the technical achievements of. If you are interested in history, or even just psychedelic imagery, this is the film for you.

Perfect Blue (1997)

Regarded as one of Satoshi Kon’s masterpieces, Perfect Blue, takes the horrors of a celebrity-obsessed culture and amps it up to the max. From facing stalkers to the identities celebrities create for their audience, Perfect Blue is sure to terrify. In order to get the best experience, I recommend skipping the dubbed version of the film and going for the original Japanese subtitled version in order to really feel the terror. This film will find its way into a gore lover’s heart with the final scene, but even throughout the film there are beautifully haunting images to reappear into your nightmares.

Eraserhead (1977)

Probably David Lynch’s most recognizable film with the iconography of the Eraserhead baby, Eraserhead is a treat. This experimental body horror film takes fatherhood and creates a strange and disturbing image. Do not expect to come out of this film with any feeling of hope or happiness. This film is dreadful. The sound design is especially horrifying with a deafening wail from the baby and the emptiness of industrial noises. Throughout the film, you feel grimy and disgusting, and that feeling will follow you after viewing. There is no satisfaction with Eraserhead, and that is what makes it such an amazing watch.

House (1977)

This is one of those films that everyone who loves over the top psychedelic horror should watch. With floating heads and superimposed animation, this film is in itself an experience. There’s nothing you can expect going into this except that you will be frightened and intrigued at the same time as crazy supernatural experiences occur with groovy 70s rock music in the background. There isn’t much I can say about this film, because a lot of it is generally difficult to put into words. There is no experience quite like House.

Valerie and Her Week Of Wonders (1970)

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is one of my favorite films of all time. Now, one of the things to understand about this film is that it’s not fully horror, it’s a fairytale with supernatural horror elements, and that is what makes it such a mystical and enticing film. The story is of a young girl coming into her sexuality as a woman which turns her world into one of vampires and witches. The imagery is beautiful and ethereal, and others are sure to terrify. This film is confusing, the first time I watched it, I had to look up the plot synopsis to even comprehend what was happening on the screen, but that is one of my favorite aspects of it. This film leaves you with a sense of wonder and love for all things beautiful. This film is a piece of art.

Freshman at DePauw studying Film Studies and Philosophy. I have a huge interest in female underground artists and their influences.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.