5 Socially Conscious Companies You Should Buy From

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes at the companies you buy from all the time? Are they ethical? Do they hold the same values as you do? I decided to do a little digging and found some pretty awesome social justice-oriented companies:  

1. Starbucks!! Not only do they have bomb af drinks (like my personal favorite, Strawberry Acai Refreshers), but they’re also dedicated to making a positive impact. Here are some things Starbucks is doing and why you should feel good about buying a sometimes overpriced drink:

• In July, Starbucks announced its plans to eliminate single-use plastic straws by 2020. This is a BIG move considering Starbucks is the largest food and beverage retailer. Nicholas Mallos, director of Ocean Conservancy’s Trash Free Seas program, says “with eight million metric tons of plastic entering the ocean every year, we cannot afford to let industry sit on the sidelines, and we are grateful for Starbucks leadership in this space.” Read more about saving the turtles here.

• Also in July, Starbucks opened its first signing store in Washington D.C. “The store will feature exclusive artwork and a custom mug designed by a Deaf artist, and a variety of enhancements to support the Deaf and hard of hearing partner and customer experience. Deaf baristas will have ASL aprons embroidered by a Deaf supplier, and hearing partners who sign will have an ‘I Sign” pin.” Click here for more information.

2. Ben & Jerry’s!! Ice cream isn’t the only thing this Vermont-based company is excelling at: they also have a long list of social justice issues they are fighting for. Listed under the company’s values is social justice: “Our Social Mission compels us to use our Company in innovative ways to make the world a better place.” They also advocate for LGBTQIA+ rights, refugee rights, racial justice, and more!! Read all about it on their website!

3. Marc Jacobs!! Marc Jacobs has partnered with The Sato Project, an organization that is “dedicated to rescuing abandoned and abused dogs from Puerto Rico. They have rescued and rehabilitated over 1,400 dogs and continue to work towards systemic change through education and partnerships on the island.” WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!!

4. Coca-Cola!! Diet Coke or Coke, though? Either way, Coke is pretty cool. The company aims to donate 1% to communities around the world. In 2017, Coke paired with the American Indian College Fund and gave $250,000 to American Indian youth. Read more HERE.

• Not everything they do is great, however. This ad was released in 2017 in Saudi Arabia. Some argue that the ad capitalizes on the decision of Saudi Arabia to allow women to drive.

5. Adidas!! In June, adidas “announced the return of Run For The Oceans, a global running movement that uses the power of sports to raise awareness for the threat of marine plastic pollution.” This summer, adidas hosted several events to get the public’s attention (read more here)!

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!