5 Places to Eat in the Windy City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

If you are like me, you’re definitely missing all the food options you had in the Windy City, otherwise known as Chicago. From the best deep-dish pizza in the city to the multitude of taco places, here are a few places anyone living in the city, or just passing through, should try.

1.  Portillo’s

This place is fairly obvious to anyone living in the Chicagoland area. Portillo’s is out of this world! There is so much to choose from, and I can guarantee you will find something on the menu to your liking. I would definitely recommend trying both the chocolate cake and chocolate cake shake!

2. Stan’s Donuts

Rich Labriola and Stan Berman blessed Chicago by bringing their incredible donuts to our city all the way from the West Coast. Some of the crazy options you can get at Stan’s include the Nutella Banana Pocket, Maple Caramel Bacon Pecan Bar, Coconut Cake and of course, the original Glazed Donut. Also in the Chicago locations, you can try gelato and donut shakes.

3. The Art of Pizza

Chicago is known for its deep-dish pizza (DUH). Coming from a true Chicagoan, I can concur that our pizza is best. I’ve been eating at the Art of Pizza for most of my life, and it is one of the best places in the city. Just one bite and you’ll see what I’m talking about; the crust is literally to die for.

4. Los Comales-18th Street

I love Mexican food, and Los Comales is the perfect restaurant to complete my life. It has multiple locations throughout Chicago, but I specifically recommend the one on 18th Street in the Pilsen neighborhood. The food is served quickly, and the taste is incredible! Even though there are tons of Mexican restaurants in Chicago, everyone should take the time to try this one!

5. Scooter’s Frozen Custard

Last, but certainly not least, Scooter’s is the place to be! I spend most of my time at Scooter’s, especially in the summer because the custard is indescribable. Smooth, creamy and oh so delicious! Each day, Scooter’s offers a new Flavor of the Day ranging from Strawberry Oreo to Turtle Trax. Some things on the menu include the Elvis and Fudge Nut Brownie. You can choose from several mix-in flavors like M&M’s and Reese’s.

When you’re in Chicago take the time to check out these incredible places!

First Year- #depauw2020
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.