5 Pieces of Advice for DePauw Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

With the new school year taking off, DePauw first-year students have just settled into the rhythm of college. To help them navigate this new environment, here are a few things every freshman at DePauw should know.

Experiment with Classes

Have you found a class that doesn’t pertain to your intended major but sounds super interesting? Take it! Your first year is the ideal time to try new things. If you don’t know what you want to major in, your first year is the best time to try a bit of everything, which will help you decide. Even if you’re sure about what your major is going to be, you should still take classes outside of that subject. You might discover a new talent and passion you never thought you had!

Make Friends in Your Residence Hall

Living away from home, especially if it is your first year, can be tough. Having a good group of friends around you will make it a lot more enjoyable. Even if your BFF is not in the same hall as you, you should try to be friends with the people on your floors and in your building. You will be around them a lot!

Use Your Resources

Stuck on a Calculus problem? Worried about your paper? Don’t understand Chemistry? DePauw offers so many FREE resources to help you things likes that. Look up the Q-Center schedule for problems in your STEM classes or go see you assigned STEM guide. They’re a great resource to help with homework, test review or just general understanding of material. If you need help on a paper, set up an appointment with the W-Center, and get your paper reviewed by an experienced tutor. Even for presentations, you can get help at the S-Center.

Don’t Be Scared of Upperclassmen

Upperclassmen may seem intimidating. They seem like they are put together, have a lot of friends and like their lives are figured out. You might be hesitant to approach them, but there’s no need to be scared. Upperclassmen, especially sophomores, remember being first-years very well. They know what you are going through and are there to help you. They are excited to get to know you! Upperclassmen are a great resource when seeking advice on life at DePauw. Go out and connect with them.

Hope you are having a great start to your college career!

Nika Rebec

DePauw '22

Nika is a sophomore at DePauw, double majoring in Biochemistry and Neuroscience. She is originally from Slovenia and moved to the U.S. to attend college. She is on the pre-med track and wishes to continue her education in the United States.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.