5 Little Things You Can Do to Help Our Environment: Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Last month we gave you five ways you can help clean up our earth. Have you taken the initiative since reading it? What have you changed about your lifestyle? Enjoy these last five quick and easy tips you can implement into your daily life in order to help our environment. 

Choose Local

Local products have so many positive impacts than most people don’t know about. Farmers’ markets, Small Business Saturdays and shopping locally can benefit the local economy, cut back on transportation efforts and in turn, cut back on emissions. 

Cut Down Energy Use

Simply turning off the lights when you leave a room and unplugging cords such as phone cords or computer chargers can save so much energy for the small amount of time you aren’t in the room. Although the cords aren’t plugged in, there is still electricity being pumped through them. Next, unplug for a day! Staying off your phone helps you use less battery meaning you won’t need to charge it as long. Unplug that charger and bam! More energy saved. When you are out and about, stopped at a long red light, stuck in traffic, etc. turn your engine off to save you gas which in turn saves you money and helps the environment. It’s a win-win! Finally, taking shorter, colder showers can help cut down energy because there is less water needing heat.

Use Natural Products

It is simple to begin using natural cleaning products like Seventh Generation, Mrs. Meyer’s and Better Life around the house. Not only do they benefit the environment, they benefit you because they contain less chemicals. In addition to natural cleaning products, you can take it a step further with beauty products, makeup, soaps and shampoos. One product most people don’t know is 99% natural is Burt’s Bees. 

Drive Less to Decrease Pollution

Simply taking a bike ride can get you outside and make you more appreciative of your surroundings. Other ways that benefit the environment include walking to work, combining errands, carpooling with friends and using public transportation. Take a shot at it, you won’t be disappointed!

Reduce Food Waste

A few ways to reduce your food waste is to donate to local food kitchens, learn to love leftovers, compost with simple guidelines you can find online or by looking up your local rules for your neighborhood. Also, don’t take more than you are willing to eat.

Abby Downs

DePauw '22

Hi!! My name is Abby Downs and I am a Sophomore here at DePauw University. I am a Studio Art major, Psychology and Education Studies minor and I play volleyball.
I'm a sophomore Kinesiology major who loves nature and striving to make a difference in this world.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.