david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Fun and Cheap Things To Do on Halloweekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
Watch Scary Movies

Grab some friends, blankets and popcorn! This is the time of the year to spend a whole night watching scary movies with Halloween candy and popcorn. Some of the best rated horror movies according to Rotten Tomatoes include UsHagazussa: A Heathen’s CurseBraid and The Hole In The Ground. If you prefer TV shows over movies, the ninth season of American Horror Story is airing right now, while the eighth season of the shows has recently been added to Netflix.

Go To a Haunted House

While Greencastle is not particularly known for its haunted houses, there are plenty of scary attractions in Indianapolis and its surroundings. Yelp reviewers strongly recommend places like Haunted Angelus House, Nightmare on Edgewood and The Thirteenth Hour Haunted Attraction. Since we are in Indiana, there are plenty of cornfields around, so if haunted houses are not your thing, try a haunted corn maze! If you want to do more than crawl around dark corridors and scream at actors that pop out of nowhere, going to an Escape Room might be a great choice for you. While a lot of them are still scary, they give you an opportunity to test your ability to solve riddles and puzzles!

Go to an Actual Haunted Location

I’m sure every town you’ve ever been to has some sort of a legend – a ghost or a monster associated with a certain location. Do some research and find a place where the paranormal has been sighted. Dare your friends to come with you and go see what the fuss is all about. If you’re feeling brave, go at night! And bring a flashlight!

Drink a Pumpkin Spice Latte

Treat yourself to a cup of this delicious beverage – you can make it at home! All you need is coffee, milk, some pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and whipped cream to top it off. If you don’t believe that your coffee-making skills are up to par, you can always spend a few dollars and get the drink at Starbucks!

Carve Pumpkins

This is one of the best activities to do with your friends! Come up with creative designs and test your artistic skills with pumpkin carving. All you need is a marker and a knife. And a decently sized pumpkin, of course! If you don’t want to get your hands dirty, but just want some cute photos, visit a pumpkin patch. They are perfect for impromptu photoshoots!

Nika Rebec

DePauw '22

Nika is a sophomore at DePauw, double majoring in Biochemistry and Neuroscience. She is originally from Slovenia and moved to the U.S. to attend college. She is on the pre-med track and wishes to continue her education in the United States.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.