5 Beauties of Nature We Tend to Overlook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

After a wondrous summer, I had a lot of perspective. It was the first summer that I worked more hours than I had free time, and it made me realize how much I took for granted. I started to look at the little things in life and what all the world had to offer!

1. Cicadas

I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite things about the summer is listening to the cicadas at night. I recently saw a cicada coming out of its shell and felt blessed to be a part of the experience.

2. Heat Lightning

Another beautiful thing about nature is heat lightning; this is something we do not see often, but when we do we know it’s something special. My eyes light up with awe each time!

3. Leaves Changing

I love that when leaves change, it happens all of a sudden; like one day you walk outside and all the colors that surround you are different. It makes me want to just sit and breathe in the fresh air.

4. Butterfly Wings

One thing we do not take into account every day is that every butterfly is different and more beautiful than the last. No matter if they are in the same family, no design is like the last and it makes me wonder what else is possible in this world. It is such a mysterious place, and I am honored to witness it.

5. Sunrises

We all go crazy about the sunset, but when was the last time we appreciated a sunrise? I have only watched the sun rise once in my life, and I honestly can’t say that I remember it much. Sleep is glorious, but sometimes we need to enjoy the little things in life.

I hope you all enjoyed these little pieces of nature. College can be really stressful, and it is important to find a way to be calm and de-stress. Find a few minutes in your day and enjoy the miracles that have been placed for us!

Freshman at Depauw University.