15 Things You Don’t Need A SO For This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Don’t get bogged down in the idea of “cuffing season”! You don’t need a SO to get the most out of this holiday season. The holidays are about sharing time with the special people in your life and that is not exclusive to a SO. Instead of feeling down because you’re not in a relationship, fill your time with friends and family. A lot of activities that girls feel like they NEED a SO for are all things that can be enjoyed with your best friends, roommates, parents, siblings, etc. Don’t limit your holiday fun! 

Decorating a Christmas Tree

Bring the holiday spirit to your college space! Take the opportunity to decorate a tree with your friends, roommates or sorority sisters! Even if you can’t fit a real, full-size tree in your space, there are lots of alternatives. They make fake trees of all sizes. Plus, choosing an aesthetic for your tree opens many creative and/or comical opportunities.

Wearing Matching Pajamas 

You definitely don’t need a SO to get cozy in matching pajamas. There are a wide variety of options offered online and in-store, so you can find the perfect pajama set for you and whoever you choose. This is a great opportunity to force your sibling into some picture perfect bonding or get the whole family involved. You might even feel like a kid again!

Making a Gingerbread House

Make it a friendly competition! Whether you use homemade supplies or buy several box kits, this can be a fun holiday game night event. Find out which one of your relatives or friends is the most creative by setting a time limit and seeing who creates the tastiest looking masterpiece.

Watching Christmas Movie

The perfect way to spend a snowy day, whether you’re alone or with friends! Put on your comfy pants, grab a mug of hot chocolate and indulge in your favorite Christmas movie. 

Black Friday Shopping

You don’t need a SO to spoil this holiday season! Find the best deals on gifts for your closest friends and family. Spend the early morning hours shopping with your girlfriends. Have a breakfast date afterwards and make a whole day out of it. 

Wrapping Presents

Make this sometimes-daunting task fun by doing it with your roommates, friends, relatives or siblings. Again, this can be a friendly competition or a creative crafting time. Break out the wrapping paper and ribbon and get to taping! 

Baking Cookies

Visit grandma and whip up some homemade delectable sweets or stay in with your besties and pop some premade dough in the oven. Either way, it’s the perfect excuse to have a cheat day!

Snowball Fight 

Channel your inner kid and have a big snowball fight with all your friends. How cute can you make your snow outfit? This could lead to a fun photoshoot! 

Ugly Christmas Sweater Party 

Talk about a PARTY opportunity! Dress Code: The Ugliest Christmas Sweater You Can Find. Invite your friends and family over for a night of hilarity. Put on the Christmas tunes, break out the peppermint schnapps and get lit in your ugliest sweater. 

Going Ice Skating 

Just because you need a hand to hold for balance doesn’t mean it has to be SO! Grab your gal pals and have a date night. Spend time laughing with, or maybe at, each other’s failures. Maybe one of your friends will surprise you with their talent. 

Sledding

If you have a small sibling or niece/nephew, this is the perfect opportunity to spend some time in the snow with them. If you don’t, it’s still a great way to please your inner child. There are several inexpensive sled options, so bundle up and hit some hills near you!

Elf on the Shelf

Even though it started out as an activity for kids, it has evolved into a creative challenge for adults. Bring an Elf into your college home. How creative and comical can you be with its holiday pranks and messages?

Christmas Crafts

Pinterest is a goldmine for holiday DIY projects. Spend a day with your sorority sisters or roommates to handmake some décor for your space! Nothing screams holiday spirit like a space decked out in red, gold, silver and glitter! 

Volunteering

The holiday season is about giving. Get involved in your community by volunteering at your local soup kitchen. If that’s not an option, volunteer through the Salvation Army or do some research about other organizations. There are many ways to get involved!

Enjoy a Holiday Meal

Throw a friendsgiving! Get creative and see what you can whip up in your college kitchen. Go around the table and say what everyone is thankful for. 

Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.