This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

This article does contain a description of sexual assault, please read safely. 

On a summer night in the state of Maryland, in the middle of a high school house party, a girl was assaulted. An intoxicated older boy, assisted by his friend, corralled a younger girl into a bedroom and tried to strip her of her swimming suit. She was able to free herself when her assaulter’s friend jumped onto the bed, and sprint into the bathroom to hide. This girl grew up to become a research psychologist, working as a professor at three prestigious universities, Stanford, Pepperdine, and Palo Alto. She has earned a master’s in psychology, a master’s in education, another master’s in epidemiology with a concentration in biostatistics, and a PHd in educational psychology. At the University of Southern California School of Education, she worked for several years in the laboratory, where she developed a test to assess how young children cope with trauma.    

Dr. Christine Blasey Ford grew up to be the hero that fifteen year old girl needed.

She has confirmed that she is willing to testify next week to the senate judiciary committee regarding the night SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh tried to rape her.

Some have whined about the statute of limitations. That Dr. Christine Blasey Ford is no longer credible because too many decades have passed, and there’s no way she remembers correctly. Even though, in the great state of Maryland, there is no statute of limitations for felony attempted rape, and there is absolutely no rule against indicting a member or potential member of the Supreme Court of the United States. Rape apologists have flooded the internet and media with death threats against Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, and politicians siding with her attacker have created hashtags announcing that they are adamant to “confirm Kavanaugh” and disregard everything she has said.  Senator Mitch McConnell said “in the very near future, Judge Kavanaugh will be on the U.S. Supreme Court. So, my friends, keep the faith. Don’t get rattled by all this. We’re going to plow right through it and do our job.”Trump has commented as well that the delays have been excessive, and that they need to “get on with it”. They believe her to be a malicious, pathological, hysterical liar, even though she submitted to a polygraph.  

Your pain does not have an expiration date. Your credibility will not spoil. You are not refrigerator contents with a sell-by-stamp. You are a human being, with a brain, a soul, a heart. You cannot expire, and you will not expire.             

Author Toni Morrison once said, “Rape is a criminal act whatever the circumstances. A woman riding the subway nude may be guilty of indecency, but she may not be raped. If she invites or even sells sex at 10:00 and refuses it at 10:45, the partner who disregards her refusal and forces sex is guilty of rape. If she is drunk, asleep, mentally defective, paralyzed or dead, she must not be raped. Why? Because sexual congress must be by consent.”

Decades ago in Maryland, a fifteen year old was dragged into a bedroom by an older boy and his friend, where they tried to strip her. She never gave them permission to do this; there was no consent. I hope she is given the opportunity to testify, and that she gets justice for that little girl. Press on, you brave soul.         

Marta Leshyk

DePaul '20

Aspiring high school English teacher who hopes to help students learn to love and value themselves the way an old friend once helped her. Loves cats immensely, and enjoys iced coffee in the dead of winter. Is the proud daughter of immigrants, and learned English from Elmo, the ultimate PBS scholar.