“Yes We Can. Yes We Did”: A Millennial’s Letter to President Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Dear Mr. President,

On Tuesday night, you came home to Chicago to give your farewell address, your last speech as POTUS.

You touched on many different topics throughout the speech: there was the recap of accomplishments throughout the last eight years, from job growth to marriage equality. You reminded us of the importance of standing together in solidarity as a nation and fighting for each other. You even addressed the issue of racial inequality and immigration, defending every human being’s right at opportunity in this country.

However, what stuck out the most to me was the end in which you addressed all the young people of the United States. You took the time to thank us for our support and continual push towards progress.

I realized in this moment that my generation has been luckier than most when it comes to our political lives thus far. The majority of us were in middle school or high school when history was made, and the first black president was elected. Most of us couldn’t even vote, but we were inspired by your message of change. We spent the majority of our socially-conscious childhood seeing progress being made on a regular basis.

For many of us, you were the first president we were actively aware of and paid attention to. For that reason, we have been spoiled. We have been blessed with a respectable, gracious, and compassionate president and first lady in you and Michelle. You communicated with us through social media and showed that you understood us. You made the president cool and relatable. We have grown up engaged and compelled to act because of you.

Many of us are disappointed with our President-elect and have already acted in protest. Many of us are scared, anxious, and anticipating the worst come January 20th. However, we have the momentum and support of you to propell us forward.

So thank you, President Obama. We won’t let you down.  

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.