This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Prior to 1940, women in comics existed solely as romantic interests and supporting characters. Their power to influence the plot resided in their tangential existent to the story’s hero. The first known female superhero was in Fletcher Hanks’s February 1940 publication; the character Fantomah, “Mystery Woman of the Jungle”, is a mysterious woman who protects the jungle with supernatural powers, because she loves the creatures within it. Another femme fatale, The Woman in Red was one of the first Golden Age comic book heroines; a cop taking matters into her own hands guided female characters into previously male- dominated roles. Likewise, Claire Voyant took the name Black Widow in the original Marvel Comics. Unlike her red-headed Russian counterpart, Claire wasn’t a spy, but rather a servant of Satan. Satan gave her the power to kill by touch and ordered her to kill evil people for his enjoyment.

Fantomah transforming into her blue skull    

Claire Voyant (a.k.a. Black Widow)

Claire Voyant began delivering souls to her master in August 1940 when writer George Kapitan and artist Harry Sahle introduced the powerful woman, strung by marionette strings and puppeteered by Satan. However, the autonomy of female comic book characters developed quickly.

By October 1940, Betty Bates, Lady at Law fought crime without superpowers as a District Attorney, a profession that was almost exclusively reserved for male characters. The Quality Comics character challenged the system, refuse to accept bribes, and held law supreme.

Betty Bates drove her own story, which showed a progressive depiction of contemporary women, yet storylines and artwork often fell into condescending trials for the lone damsel. She was often left relying on her male backup. Nonetheless, only when the likes of Betty Bates and Black Widow stepped into the superhero spotlight did consumers see a female in the hero story arch.

Her ten year run ended when Quality Comics sold the story to DC Comics. Still, Betty Bates: Lady at Law outlasted many of her male superhero counterparts and echoed through the next decade as a background character. Today, she remains the longest running non super powered heroine in comic book history. Basically she was a badass; and Betty was a badass in the domestic economy of WWII before working women became normalized.

Soon after Betty Bates, American comics fans were introduced to Lady Satan (1941) who fights Nazis in occupied Paris after her fiance was killed in a German bombing attack. Beauty, wits, and charm were her only powers until magic entered her story line in the third issue.

Lady Satan comic book cover art

When Lady Satan was reintroduced in her third comic appearance, she was a sorcerous with the power to do just about anything. This empowered woman avenged her fiancé’s death and fights Nazis single-handedly in 1941. Similarly, Linda Turner was Black Cat created by Harvey Comics in 1941. Black Cat fought against Nazis and other villains using her stunt and acting skills. Women’s more powerful roles in American comics emerged parallel to women’s increasing role in society in the 1940s.

Art – and by extension comics – reflects the beliefs and fears held in our society. The view of American women throughout time is similarly mirrored in graphic narratives. In 1941, this narrative was placed in a woman’s hands for the first time. Miss Fury was the first superheroine created and drawn by a woman. The unmarried mother fought villains with and without her enchanted panther skin.

Miss Fury at work.

By 1943, woman in science were getting there comic world recognition with Jill Trent, Science Sleuth. Ms. Trent uses detective skills and ingenuity to solve crimes. Jill and her best friend Daisy use their genius to invent x-ray glasses, indestructible cloth, and other gizmos to fight crime. Both women could hold themselves in a fight with the use of guns and basic fighting skills.

Pow! Bang! Heels! Jill Trent and Daisy Experiment in this cover art

Jill Trent was a heroine whose actions and plot were independent and directed by her decisions. While she was close with Daisy, they never relied on men to bail them out. Strikingly, neither seemed to have a boyfriend which further underlines their independence. The mysteries were solved with science, but resolve generally in beating up the bad guys, just like their contemporary male counterparts.

Importantly, in 1943, Wonder Woman was created by Marston Moultons and released by DC comics. The Amazon Princess was designed to be powerful as Marston wrote in an American Scholar issue: “Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power…Women’s strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman.” While his 1940s male condescension seeps through in his writing, Wonder Woman is a strong, respectable character who developed her own aura and remains a member of the current Justice League of America “Waging a war in a man-made world for freedom, democracy, and womankind!”

Wonder Woman comic book cover art

Wonder Woman holds a place in popular memory, becoming the first woman in comics to become a popular icon. Powerful women in American comics continue to contribute great stories and reflect womanhood as we see it today.

Jessica Jones, Private Investigator in the “Alias” graphic novels (2001-2004)

Meghan McNicholas is a sophomore at Penn State from Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. She is planning on majoring in International Politics, History and French along with a minor in Arabic. Her love for creative writing, obsession with Buzzfeed and passion for bad jokes inspired her to apply for Her Campus last fall. Aside from Her Campus, Meghan is  also involved with the Pennsylvania State International Affairs and Debate Association, Penn State Relay for Life,  and Schreyer Student Council. Outside of writing, her passions include traveling, instagram captions, and eating ice cream while watching trashy reality TV shows. When she's not busy running between classes, you'll most likely find her waiting for a smoothie at Webster's, stopping in the middle of the street to pet cute dogs or trying to inform random strangers about the importance of political activism. After college, Meghan hopes to work pursue a Masters Degree and a career in the American Foriegn Service.