Why You Should Stop Worrying About Growing Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

It’s common amongst children and prepubescent pre-teens to desire the ability to instantaneously become adults, and just plain grow up. This all changes, however, when teenagers become actual adults and see the real struggles of being a real adult. There are many reasons why teens worry and stress so much about growing up, particularly as fast as possible, but there are many reasons why they honestly shouldn’t stress out too much.

Why do people worry about growing up in the first place?

According to Psychology Today, there are several reasons that teens worry about growing up and rush to do so. One being the “symbolic separation” from one’s parents or parental figures. The majority of children spend the first 18 years of their life being taken care of by someone they consider a parental figure or guardian. Leaving the security of that care can be nerve-racking, as a child is essentially being pushed out of the nest. For some, this is a desirable, exhilarating thought. For others, this is terrifying. 

Facing the reality versus the fantasy in one’s head is a real problem for many teens. According to research, suppression of one’s childhood trauma may lead to retreating to a fantasy land as a defense mechanism. True adulthood forces one to deal with the realities of being an actual adult, which may be a harsh clash with the fantasies they daydreamed about in their minds. 

Moreover, Something that many children don’t consider is the responsibilities that adults have to take on. As an adult, one has to pay bills, go to work in order to pay those bills, possibly take care of other people who can’t take cannot take care of themselves, specifically children, and just navigate their world solo without a safety nest to turn back to. Those responsibilities can be overwhelming to someone who grew up not having to worry about them.

Keeping in touch with your childhood

Despite everything, adulthood shouldn’t be something to be scared of or worried about. One way to combat the worrisome feeling towards adulthood is to keep a piece of your childhood with you. Just because you are an adult, doesn’t mean you should let go of all of your childhood. You can still enjoy the things that you enjoyed as a kid. Keeping in touch with your childhood can alleviate the stress of the transition from teenager to adult. You won’t feel that you’re completely breaking off from the first eighteen years of your life. As many may say, one doesn’t truly grow up; one just grows older.

Your independence can keep you sane

Something else that can help alleviate the stress of becoming an adult are the joys of newfound independence. You don’t have to answer to anyone if you don’t want to. You can become your boss, whether that’s through your own business or through your own autonomy. If you want that tattoo, you don’t have to ask permission from anyone; you can just go and get one. Living independently can be something to look forward to as people won’t speak for you. You can speak your own truth that isn’t given to you by your parents or guardian. Being independent can bless you with the freedom of following your own rules; you don’t have to stress about fitting neatly into someone else’s  expectations for you.

Making your own money helps

One last thing that can help make adulthood become less stressful is being financially independent. There are obviously upsides and downsides of having to deal with your own finances, but making your own money will make many things easier for you. You won’t have to depend on someone else to get something done. If you want to go out with friends, you don’t have to ask your guardian or parent to spot you.

Adulthood is inevitable

Growing older cannot be avoided and you cannot escape it. There are plenty of anti-aging creams, botox procedures, face and butt lifts, but at the end of the day, you are growing older and adulthood is inevitable (or whatever Thanos said). You just have to face the beast head-on and do the best you can. Yes, you will make mistakes along the way, but you will have to learn from them and continue strong. Time waits for no one, so you may as well enjoy the ride of life while you can.

Chinyere (sha-near-ruh), a graduate student at DePaul University, has been writing for Her Campus DePaul since October 2019. She enjoys anything journalism-related and indulges in pop culture commentary and celebrity news.