This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Based on the book by Irish author Sally Rooney, Normal People follows the on-again-off-again relationship of Connell Waldron, played by Paul Mescal, and Marianne Sheridan, played by Daisy Edgar-Jones. In association with BBC and Hulu, the limited series was released in April of 2020 and was directed by Lenny Abrahamson and Hettie MacDonald. The series received five nominations, four from the Emmy Awards, and one for the TCA Awards. 

At the beginning of the story, Marianne is portrayed as an outsider at school. She comes from a rich family which makes her extremely independent because she wants to break away from her mother’s hold on her.  Connell, a boy in the popular crowd at school, struggles to find his true self. His mom, Lorraine, works for Marriane’s mom, Denise, so he frequently comes to their house. Marianne and Connell’s relationship doesn’t develop until their senior year. I can’t tell you too much of the story because it’s better to go in with an open mind so you can make your own interpretations of it all. 

While watching this series, I felt a deep connection to Marianne because she taught me that it’s okay to be independent and there’s no shame in struggling to find ways to love yourself. Throughout her high school years, she has trouble finding who she is and who she wants to be. When she goes to college it finally gives her a chance to be fully independent and do things that allows herself to know who she is and who she wants to be. Overall, it taught me a lot of things about the different challenges in life, and the hope and perseverance needed to get through it, as well as the vulnerability of both sex and love, and how complex it can be. 

It’s also significant because of how they developed Connell’s character coming from this stereotypical popular group in school to becoming this highly educated individual who goes through the struggles of life. In our society, most men are portrayed to be strong and to show no emotion whatsoever. In this story, however, they show Connell struggling and working through his emotions by normalizing seeking help when he needed it most. I’ve never read a book or seen a series like this portray the struggles that can be faced when dealing with mental health, and I think it’s important to showcase it more. 

If you love character development, drama, romance, and important societal issues this series will draw you in. There’s a lot to unpack about Normal People since it’s release there have been a lot of important discussions because it has the power to influence everyone who watches it. Both the book and the series leave you wanting more of their story, but I think that’s a part of the excitement because it allows you to make your own conclusions and ideas as to where their story goes next.

Angela Sampers is a Public Relations and Advertising major with a minor in Journalism at DePaul University, she has an overflowing passion for writing. She enjoys spending time with friends, rock climbing, baking, and finding a new book to read.