thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Fiction is one of the most popular genres of book and it is a great way to see the world through your imagination. The fiction books that I like to read add to the reader experience and are concerned with entertaining and teaching different aspects. Few reasons why I love to read fiction are:

To Be Entertained

This is an obvious reason to read fiction or any kind of books. I believe that fiction enables a sense of curiosity in a person that causes them to be hooked to it and read further in their spare time. It is a great way to relax yourself! One of the books that I read, borrowed from the library, just for the sake of entertainment was A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and it is a story of two wonderful women Mariam and Laila, who want to achieve their dreams, and aspirations. I instantly loved this book because of the kind of wording it had and how it opened up my mind about different worlds and also kept me entertained. 

To Gain Perspective

Reading books about different characters or plots, such as aliens invading the universe helps me put things in perspective. Also, historical fiction gives me context about the world the characters live in. When I talk about gaining perspective from fiction book, the only book that comes to mind and is one of my favorites is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and I absolutely love this book. The story of different characters in this book and how they interact with one another is absolutely amazing and it helps in tying knots on what a certain situation would lead to. The way each characters’ thoughts are presented has enabled me to understand different concepts and the most prevalent one, the American Dream.

Person holding book open
João Silas

To Explore The Places I’ve Never Visited

This one I believe is a crucial role of fiction as it provides an ability to a person to explore another person’s capability in a way that even television cannot. While reading fiction, what I like the most is that I not only experience the protagonist’s viewpoint and stance , but their innermost feelings, emotions and thoughts. With fiction, you get to visit places, for example I read, The Famous Last Words by Katie Alander, and it is a great fictional mystery book that enabled me to picture the places, which I have never visited and not only that but also to see myself in the situation that it’s main character is going through.

Woman reading a book in bedroom
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz from Unsplash

By exploring the above few reasons, I am sure that you are now compelled to read fiction. Fiction definitely has a great power of communication. If you haven’t please read the books that I have mentioned in my article. Happy reading!

In a nutshell, I am a citizen of the world, an explorer, and a learner of life. I am a graduate of DePaul University, with a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (I.T.). I am currently working towards my Masters in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) at DePaul. At DePaul, I have spent my time learning about technology and serving as a leader in the community. I love writing as it gives me the freedom to explore the world and spread positivity. I am passionate about Web Development and Design and continuously working to improve my skills. I am eager to explore the world of writing, learn new skills, and adapt to different environments!