#Whitterview #2 with Lacey Mark of the Bachelor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Let’s go back to Nick Viall’s season of the Bachelor and think back to the first night. Remember the girl on the camel?

Ah yes, Lacey Mark. The Harry Potter lovin’ girl who originally applied for Ben Higgins’ season. She graced our television screens during Nick’s season, although it was short, we later saw her on Bachelor in Paradise. Lacey is currently a Social Media Director at a PR agency and wishes she could be Blake Lively for the day, solely because she gets to go home to Ryan Reynolds every night (but who wouldn’t want to be Blake?)

But now’s your chance to really get to know the girl who would pick Professor Snape over Dumbledore!

Tell me a little about your background

LM: I grew up in a smaller town in northern New Jersey. Kind of your standard, boring suburb there was never really that much to do, but I made some of the best friends of my life that I still keep up with today. I went to Syracuse after graduating, where I majored in Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies, and then moved to NYC in 2013…been here ever since! My family is still in Jersey, it’s super close, so we see each other all the time.  My family is small, it’s just my sister, my parents, myself, and the dog (the most important one).  My family is so, so supportive and loving and we have a very special relationship where not only are we all family, but we’re also best friends.  Some of my favorite nights are spent hanging out with them.  

Most people know you as the woman who rode into the first night of Nick Viall’s season of the Bachelor on a camel! What was that like? What were you feeling? Tell us a little more about your time on the Bachelor.

LM: The first question everyone asks is “did the camel spit a lot?” It did (lol), but it was gentle! It was kind of this funny, nonsense idea going back and forth between the producers and myself, and then they were actually able to make it happen! I was super nervous mostly because the camel was SO tall.  Nick is tall, he’s 6 foot something, but the camel had at least another foot on him so I was kind of scared of falling when I slid down!

My time on The Bachelor was pretty short, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.  The girls were phenomenal, and it truly is an experience you cannot get anywhere else or imagine.  I never felt uncomfortable or like I was being tricked. Everything I did was because I wanted to and felt it was right, and I was really pleased with how I was portrayed.  I wasn’t convinced I’d find my husband, but I was hopeful at the idea of it and what could happen.

You went on to star on Bachelor in Paradise- what was that like? (Besides he who shall not be named)

LM: Bachelor in Paradise is a completelyyyy different beast than The Bachelor.  It’s way more laid back, less structured, and more social since it’s both men and women hanging out together all the time.  I had the time of my life.  Paradise got off to a rocky start for me—with leaving for my grandfather’s funeral.  Everyone was super supportive during that time, calling/texting me to see how I was doing. It gave me a lot of comfort.  Going back to Mexico after that was definitely hard. My grandpa and I were very close, so going back to filming so soon after that loss wasn’t easy but it was something I kind of felt like I had to do for myself.  There were a lot of tears (a lot. A lot, a lot as y’all saw) but what wasn’t really displayed was the root of those tears. For me, I was struggling with personal loss and worrying about my family, in addition to the stress of being in a Bachelor environment. The outcome was an emotional ride, but still one I wouldn’t give up.  I learned a lot about myself and my emotions and was lucky enough to have a great support system throughout all of it.

Unfortunately, there was the part where you got your heartbroken and all us women felt your pain right along side you. What is some of the best advice you have gotten that helped you after the heart break?

LM: That was a tough time period for me. I was constantly questioning my relationship decisions and how I went about them, thinking about what I missed or what I did wrong to end up in that situation.  The best advice I was ever given was actually from Nick Benvenutti (Santa Claus from JoJo’s season/on my season of paradise), and he told me, “you made the decision you thought was right at the time and that’s all there is to it.”  And that advice was so matter-of-fact and simple that it made my questions seem silly. That’s exactly what I did, I made a decision that was right at the time, and now it’s time to move forward.   I tell him all the time that even though that was a quick, one-liner of a sentence it really helped me see the bigger picture.

Lacey also lives by the quote from Dumbledore that she carries with her and I thought it definitely suits her story/background and I definitely admired her choice of quotes!

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” I take it as—you are in complete control of your own life, and therefore you are the only one responsible for your happiness.

Do you stay in contact with any of your fellow cast mates from the Bachelor or BIP?

LM: I do! Some of my closest Bachelor friends aren’t from my season, but there are a few I keep in touch with regularly. No one really understands what you went through on those shows unless they’ve gone through it themselves.

What is life like now post reality show era? Any men vying for our favorite contestant’s (aka you) heart?

LM: I am back to normal life! Still living in NYC and back to work. I’m dating, but the dating scene in New York is tough. People are so accessible with all these dating apps that no one’s really interested in dating just one person.  I’m optimistic though, so we’ll see!

If you could have dinner with three people who would you choose and why?

LM: JK Rowling, Nick Jonas, and Jim Parsons. I have NO idea what the 4 of us would all talk about, but something tells me it could get interesting.

What shows are you watching?

LM: Well because I have to wait until 2019 for more Game Of Thrones, I have time! I love The Big Bang Theory, Law and Order SVU, any TV movie on Lifetime. I’m pretty much a grandma on the inside.  I don’t have Netflix or Hulu because I’m afraid if I cave then I’ll never leave my couch.

Thanks for tuning in to my second #Whitterview and reading my interview with the beautiful and smart Lacey Mark! Follow her on social media, I don’t doubt you will fall in love with her as I did. She is an incredible person who deserves the best.

Instagram & Twitter: @laceymmark

Public Relations student at DePaul University in Chicago. Minnesota grown. President of DePaul University Love Your Melon Campus Crew "I'm proud of the person I've become, because I fought to become her." Twitter & Instagram: @whitneywahlers