This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

“Remember that climate change, corrupt governments, and insufficient aid related to COVID-19 and natural disasters are critical migration factors and legacies of global colonialism and capitalism. Dismantle border policing and violence. Be in solidarity with migrants.” – The CentAm Collective

One of the most recent and devastating natural disasters that affected Central America was a category four hurricane called Hurricane Eta. It has laid damage to the following countries; Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Panama, Mexico and more. 

Panamanian officials report that there have been 17 deaths and 76 people missing in the flooding and landslides that came as a result of Hurricane Eta. While major news outlets have yet to cover this hurricane, it’s certainly better to know and spread awareness about it sooner, rather than later. 

Any contribution to the following places, whether it is through money, self-educating or providing allyship and advocacy, will be a great source of aid to the families in Central America. They should know that they are not alone and are thought-about through these difficult times. 

I have also linked great educational tools and resources on topics such as race and class equality as well as environmentalism. Having hard, but important conversations with your friends and families that focus on such topics can help bring about a ripple effect for allyship, change and progress here for immigrants in the United States, people living in Central America and elsewhere worldwide. 

Porapak Apichodilok/Pexels
Without further ado, here are some of the resources that can help spark those things, and you are encouraged to find resources beyond this list! 

The first place you can go for obtaining more information about Central America and Hurricane Eta is a place called Beyond The Bubble. Beyond The Bubble is a resource created by a Honduras born and raised Villanova University Alum, a woman named Massiel Valladares. In addition to providing where Northern American and international donors can provide donations going towards relief in Honduras and Nicaragua, she breaks topics like environmentalism, intersectional feminism, anti-neoliberalism, anti-colonialism and radical self-love.

In her blog, you can find a list of books, podcasts, articles and essays about a variety of subtopics from environmental care to advocating for women’s rights in Central America and worldwide.

The second place for donating any amount of money to Honduran families is an Instagram page called Potracha, or as translated, Americanized Honduran. Not only is there a Gofundme page for ongoing donations to provide financial aid and news about Honduras, but the Instagram page itself also touches briefly on the history of the Spanish conquest. That piece of history can be a discussion point to engage in anti-racism and advocating for change and progress in an independent nation, also known as dismantling decolonization.

The third place that you can donate any amount of money going towards Hurricane Eta relief is a Gofundme page titled relief for communities affected by Hurricane ETA. The donation page was created and organized by a Honduran woman named Lourdes Fugon. The money donated is going towards materials such as wood and metal to rebuild homes lost in the hurricane as well as essential items from toiletries to mattresses.

Do more, donate
Photo by United Nations COVID-19 Response from Unsplash
The fourth resource where you can attain more information about the Central American community and donate to people affected by Hurricane Eta is called Central American Voices, created by Alejandra Quiroz and Sussan Garcia. Here, you can listen to podcast episodes covering topics from the pandemic in Honduras to buying products from and supporting Latinx businesses — such as a beauty and cosmetics line called Amor J’Chelle Cosmetics, founded by an Afro-Latina woman named Naya J’Chelle. You can explore a plethora of ways to help strengthen allyship through the education provided in this resource.

Through this Linktree, organized by Nicaraguan-American activist Anais Catalinaou, you can find stories about topics such as the mismanagement of COVID-19 in Nicaragua and police brutality among others. Lastly, more donation initiative’s, like Danilo’s Care, can be found in this Google spreadsheet titled Aiding Honduras Post-Eta 

A vector illustration representing the Earth wearing a mask.
Photo from Pixabay
Whether you post on social media, donate silently, educate yourself or have tough conversations with your friends and family, you are contributing to taking a stand against racial injustice and negligence of the environment, among other issues. 

No matter what, just keep building on hope, healing and loving one another. Your community of friends, allies and I are with you always in building not only Central America but each other up.

Hello everyone,I am Alex Acain, and a senior at DePaul. I am Chicago born, and raised. I am double-majoring in Journalism, and Sports Communication, and minoring in Photography. Whenever I have the spare time, and depending on the season, I always like to either watch, or listen to, Bears, Blackhawks, and Cubs games while cheering for them of course. I also like to ; watch movies, listen to music, make different tea and coffee drinks, other simple recipes, and cosplay every once in a while as I am also a big pop culture fan. Finally, since I think the West Coast is the best coast, one of my favorite places to travel to is Southern California to see my family and for the, food scene, beaches and places like Universal Studios and Disneyland.