freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Day in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Whether you hate it or love it, it’s right around the corner. That’s right, Valentine’s Day is just about here. If you didn’t make plans yet, don’t worry! Luckily for those who live in Chicago, there’s plenty to do whether you’re taken or single.

For the last-minute, quick and easy: You can continue to go to your favorite places to grab a quick bite. Portillo’s, from February 10-14, will be getting festive by offering their most popular item- their chocolate cake- in the shape of a heart. Perfect for a casual, yet romantic, night out.

Another quick grab with a romantic twist- Garrett’s Popcorn Sweetheart Mix. This holiday related blend includes White Chocolate Caramel Crisp and Simply Strawberry popcorn, giving it the perfect pink and white Valentine’s Day tint. This special mix is available from January 20- February 14 (and super easy!). 

For the classics: If you’re looking for more of a date night out with a nice meal, we found the perfect list of places that have Valentine’s Day specials. Jerry’s Sandwiches in Andersonville is offering a $48-for-two meal which includes your choice of appetizer, sparkling wine, an entrée, and a brownie sundae for dessert. Can’t beat that!

Devon Seafood Grill off of Rush and Division is also getting in the holiday spirit. The restaurant is putting together a special selection of Valentine’s Day favorites for their entrée menu. The meal starts at $60 per person in accompany to a reservation.

For a lighter mood and live music all night, Queen Mary Tavern is the place to go. Located in Ukrainian Village, this restaurant is offering a half dozen oysters and two Valentine’s Day drinks for $24. The perfect place for a night out with your sweetie!

There are lists and lists of restaurants to go to in Chicago on Valentine’s Day. Just be sure to make reservations as they are sure to get busy very quickly!

For the adventurous: Cupid’s Undie Run, a 1-mile run in your undies to support the Children’s Tumor Foundation. The run starts at 2 P.M. at John Barleycorn Wrigleyville, but doors open at noon. 

The Museum of Science and Industry has Free Days for the month of February with an Illinois ID. One of the free day’s lands on Valentine’s Day. Something different and educational!

As for those flying solo: Your Valentine’s Day could actually be fun. Yes, fun! There are many events being hosted for singles (and couples) around the area for the holiday.

There’s “#DateMe: An OKCupid Experiment” comedy show happening at the UP Comedy Club in Lincoln Park. The show will run from February 2- May 28, 2017. Gather up your closest buds and go laugh it off for the night.

There’s also a David Bowie music tribute at Hideout in River West. Reminisce on one of the greatest stars and enjoy the music on February 14.

Or, my favorite, “Another Sad Love Song Karaoke.” This karaoke night invites you to come and cry while singing the saddest love songs. The perfect place to let your emotions out, located at Crown Liquors in Avondale on February 14. They’re also offering $2 Old Styles.

As you now know, Valentine’s Day in Chicago isn’t half bad. Whether you are planning the day with your love or your closest friends, the fun is endless. There’s nothing to dread anymore.

Hello! I'm just a girl studying Public Relations and Advertising at DePaul University in Chicago, IL with a passion for people and writing.