Transformers 4 Interview with Nicola Peltz and Jack Reynor!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Transformers: Age of Extinction, the fourth film in the Transformers franchise, is in theaters this weekend. The film stars Mark Wahlberg alongside Nicola Peltz (Bates Motel) and Jack Reynor (Delivery Man), both of whom are making their summer blockbuster debut. I was fortunate enough to sit down with the two of them when they came to Chicago to talk about the film, their experience working on it, and life in general! Check out the Q&A below.

(Image courtesy of Allied and Paramount.)

When were you guys first introduced to Transformers?

Nicola Peltz: I have been a huge Transformers fan for as long as I can remember. I grew up with so many brothers and they all loved it so much. And what Michael does with these films is amazing – just brings these robots to life – and to now be a part of it is really exciting!

Jack Reynor: I was like 3 or 4 when I got a line of Transformers toys – I wasn’t aware that that was what they were actually… And I grew up watching the cartoon, and the three films, obviously, I was a big fan of when I was in school… so I’ve always known what they are.

What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned from anyone with whom you worked on this film?

Nicola: Before we started filming, Mark [Wahlberg] told me, “Just know your scenes so well – know the lines, know the scenes, know the robot’s lines – just know everything, because when you get on set… you never really know what’s going to happen on a Transfomers set.”

Jack: Yeah, definitely, preparation is key… One thing that Chelsea Grammar said to me – it was just in passing – “If you’re not prepared to collaborate, then you’re never going to to find work. People don’t work with non-collaborators, and you’ll reach the zenith of where you’re going very quickly if you’re unwilling to share and relate your work experience with people.”

How was it acting with something that isn’t there [like Optimus Prime or other post-production additions]?

Nicola: You just have to go for it. You can’t be insecure or hesitant or anything like that. Michael [Bay] and Mark always said, “Just go for it and commit,” and it just works so much better that way. There are moments when you’re talking to a pole and you just feel really silly, but you just kind of have to forget about it and just believe it and other people will believe it.

Jack: As an actor across the board your job and what’s expected of you is that you’ll suspend your disbelief and use your imagination, and drawing on your emotions and things you’ll be able to make a tangible world for yourself around you, something you can interact with… Imagining giant robots is just an extension of that, really. For Nicola and I, it was a first for both of us, so we had each other for support in that, and Mark was very helpful to us as well during that first stint of the shoot, and once you get a little bit into it your confidence grows and you realize that you actually have the ability to pull it off.

Both of you have worked on so many different projects. You (Jack) have worked in every genre known to man – you have comedy, action/adventure, and indepedendent, and I think you’re doing Shakespeare soon – and you’re (Nicola) in Bates Motel… How is it working on so many different projects in relation to working on this huge blockbuster film?

Nicola: The thing that’s so exciting about acting is that you get to play different characters, and get to learn new things and be in new cities. I love to learn, and just to keep learning on each different project you do… And I shot Bates [Motel] during Transformers, and to go back and play Bradley, and then come back and play Tessa, it was fun for me! It’s new and nothing ever gets stale.

Jack: I mean, yeah, for me the experience of shooting a $250 million dollar franchise movie is definitely far removed from independent, Irish film, and also doing things that you mentioned, but you’ve got to kind of approach it like anything else: you just commit yourself to your character first and foremost and not worry about the scale.

You filmed here in Chicago for a few months, do you have any favorite places to visit or eat?

Nicola: I really just enjoyed walking around the city, especially at night. All the buildings are so great, and the night is really calm here.

Jack: I visited Fado, the Irish Pub, while I was here. That, and Uno’s Pizza are probably my favorites.

What do you think you’d be doing if you weren’t acting?

Nicola: I grew up playing ice hockey, actually really intensely, and I thought I was going to do it in college. I grew up with six brothers and a sister and when I was 7-12, we all did it together. So I was gonna be an ice hockey player before I fell in love with acting.

Jack: We had a college guy come in yesterday and interview us, and he asked a really interesting question of the same nature, and he asked if we could teach any college course, what would it be, and we could make one up. And you know, for me if I wasn’t acting, I would love to be able to teach sociology through film. That would be really incredible.

How do you think audiences can relate to your characters?

Nicola: Tess is really relatable – I know I can definitely relate to her with the no-dating household and the overprotective dad. But yeah in the beginning of the film, you see how her and Mark and all the characters who live on the farmhouse live their everyday lives, and that’s really relatable. Then of course the Transformers come into the story and they go on that whole journey – I wish I could relate to that!

Jack: You know, a young Irish racecar driver in the middle of Texas isn’t that far removed from a young Irish actor in the middle of Hollywood! And I’ve been there and I know what that’s like, and I know what it’s like to have to prove myself to people and to try and have enough faith in myself and believe in myself that I can achieve what I wanted… That’s a very universal theme.

Nicola and Jack were both very relaxed and down-to-earth, and their chemistry is palpable. Don’t miss the chance to see them on screen as Tessa and Shane in Transformers: Age of Extinction when it hits theaters tonight! See you at the movies!

Tori Meschino is a lot of things with a lot of majors. She's a macaroni and cheese lover, a sorority woman, obsessed with Michael J. Fox, a binge-watcher, an editor-in-chief, the HerCDM president, a woman in tech, and a writer. She majors in Interactive and Social Media and Media and Cinema Studies, and minors in General Psychology (and a minor in Never Graduating). So basically she's everywhere. Oh, and she's one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus DePaul!