danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Thoughts We’ve All Had During and After an Awful Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Spring quarter is right around the quarter which means opportunities for campus leadership positions for the next school year are opening. It’s time to polish up our resumes, lay out our nicest black dress pants, and dig out those “working girl” heels. We anticipate the interview atmosphere and prep for the kinds of questions we may be asked. However, with so many fierce Blue Demon’s vying for the same position, we sometimes psych ourselves out or feel overly confident.

Here are some thoughts we’ve all had at some point during one of those disastrous interviews:

*Arrives to group interview and scopes out the competition*

Holy sh*t, there are a lot of people. Too much competition. I don’t know if I can do this. Should I go home? Maybe I should just… oh crap, here we go!

*Once you’re seated, you start to compare yourself to the other interviewees*

Ugh, why did I wear these shoes? Why wasn’t I smart like that girl over there with the black ballet flats. Damn, her pencil skirt is fab too. I should’ve worn a pencil skirt. Do I even own a pencil skirt? *Makes a mental note to purchase a pencil skirt.*

*The questions start rolling*

I’m so nervous! Should I even bother answering this question? What if I don’t make sense?

Oops too late, cardigan girl over there has it. She’s totally going to get the job.

Gosh, I really hope I get this position though.

Darn it, I missed the next question!

Does my hair look okay? I hope I don’t look like a complete mess.

I’m getting hungry. I wonder what the fry of the week is.

Stop! I need to pay attention!

*Finally, there’s a question you feel confident answering*

I got this! Go me! I ANSWERED THAT AMAZINGLY! I might actually have a chance at this!

*Next question is specifically directed at you, but then…*

Rambles, stutters, and forgets how to make a coherent thought.

What did I just say?!

*Interview ends and you feel terrible about how it went*

Well, better luck next time. Goes to the STU to seek comfort from waffle fries.

Ladies, we’re all going to have a terrible interview at some point in our lives. However, we cannot simply rely on our killer smiles to land that RA or Transition Leader position. We must learn from our mistakes and seriously prepare for the next one!

A plethora of opportunities await us!

Kayla is my name, and I'm an avid fangirl of many things, which is probably not acceptable at 23. I love brownies, ice cream, and brownies in ice cream. I also enjoy the fry of the week at the STU. Oh yea, and I study communication and media. DePaul University '17