Style

A Starter Guide to Simple Closet Cosplays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Hi guys! It’s your friendly neighborhood beginner cosplayer, Alex, and I am here to help you ladies turn anything you have in your closet, or otherwise shop for anywhere including, but not limited to items as described in the links, into a DIY costume perfect for any occasion from conventions like Wizarding World Chicago or any spring and summer cosplay photo shoots !! Without further ado here are a few awesome suggestions to get started on bringing any character to life, and stay tuned for another edition of this article if you’re a Star Wars fan celebrating May The Fourth and Revenge of the Fifth !! 

LEGO Star Wars toy photo
Daniel Cheung

Up first is Letty Ortiz-Toretto from the Fast and Furious film franchise. This one is especially great to wear for the spring and summer, and it’ll make you feel real cool. 

Crucial items to create this look:

A basic black tank top

A pair of light wash skinny jeans             

This dog tag necklace 

Black or brown leather combat boots

IT is a fantastically well-done horror movie with residual bits of comedy. This is another good one for the summer when you are channeling your inner art major energy, or if you’re a Finn Wolfhard fan.

Key Items to create this look:

Any tropical print shirt

High-waisted shorts

Any basic white tank top

A pair of black sneakers such as these Vans high tops.

Aviators are always cute

A fun throwback cosplay could be Shaggy Rogers from Scooby Doo. This is one that you can change up with a skirt and a few other pieces if you wish.

Important items needed: 

Any green army jacket, like this one

A green v-neck tank top

A dark red mini skirt

Faux suede over-the-knee boots

Last, but certainly not least, is a closet cosplay inspired by none other than Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider film franchise, starring Angelina Jolie. 

Essential items to create this look:

A crew neck tank top 

High rise black  jean shorts

Black combat boots

A thigh holster belt           

Have as much creative license and liberty as you please with your hair and makeup. For any additional questions and suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me via Instagram at @ _lexiacainlifeandvisuals.18, and I hope your journey to more intermediate, and advanced cosplays will be a good one! 

Hello everyone,I am Alex Acain, and a senior at DePaul. I am Chicago born, and raised. I am double-majoring in Journalism, and Sports Communication, and minoring in Photography. Whenever I have the spare time, and depending on the season, I always like to either watch, or listen to, Bears, Blackhawks, and Cubs games while cheering for them of course. I also like to ; watch movies, listen to music, make different tea and coffee drinks, other simple recipes, and cosplay every once in a while as I am also a big pop culture fan. Finally, since I think the West Coast is the best coast, one of my favorite places to travel to is Southern California to see my family and for the, food scene, beaches and places like Universal Studios and Disneyland.