This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

What comes to mind when hearing the term SoundCloud Rapper? Likely Lil Pump clones who make music in their parents’ basement. Yet not all SoundCloud musicians fit this mold. A surprising number of mainstream musicians got their start from SoundCloud, such as Lil Peep, Chance the Rapper, Lil Uzi Vert, Travis Scott, and Lil Yachty.

Study Breaks Magazine

Award-winning Kansas City-based producer Chris Bihuniak described SoundCloud as a “great stepping stone” for those who cannot afford to use streaming services that charge a fee for musicians to post their music. Bihuniak said it’s essential with today’s social media that musicians see exactly how many streams their tracks get.

DePaul musician Ben Fister, known as Fyystar on SoundCloud, posts his music because of the sense of community on the platform.Fister explains, “It’s a lot easier to get a personal following on SoundCloud and you have much more room for expression.Because of SoundCloud’s easily accessible and approachable nature, it serves as a great community for musicians to get their start,” he said. SoundCloud is a free platform that, unlike Spotify or Apple Music, allows listeners to comment on each song — another great way for musicians to receive feedback on their songs. When asked about the stereotype around SoundCloud, Fister used the term “music without insight,” but he said he believes that this is not truly what SoundCloud music represents.

“As I’ve grown up, there has been a new wave of rap music, which is attached to SoundCloud.”   Because you can approach SoundCloud with no musical training, it allows for anyone to express their own unique philosophies and craft in relation to music,” Fister said.

The popularity of SoundCloud among experimental artists, such as Fister, has truly bent the rules of music and has expanded our knowledge of what music can be.

Link to Fyystar’s SoundCloud

Wikipedia

Brittany Kulla is a DePaul sophomore studying journalism and Arabic studies.