Quick and Easy Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.
Halloween is all about having fun-your costume should reflect that, and you shouldn’t have to run around trying to find pieces to wear-you should be focused on eating candy and carving pumpkins! So if you find yourself struggling to come up with a costume, and you don’t want to spend a fortune on your costume, here are my recommendations that I think are always classic and always cute: 

Classic Women from the Past

1. Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany’s
All you need is a black dress, huge sunglasses, a sparkly headband, a pearl necklace, throw your hair in a bun…. DONE and SO CUTE!

2. Marilyn Monroe
Another classic. White flowy dress, give yourself a faux bob, and a red lip.

3. Rosie the Riveter
Throw on a chambray top, roll up the sleeves, a pair of dark jeans, pull your hair back in a bun or a ponytail, and top it off with a red bandana, and you’re all set. 

Famous Movie Characters

1. Sandy from Grease
My best friend and I are actually both doing this for Halloween this year. I opt for the edgy Sandy because I think her style is easier to replicae: High waisted black skinny jeans/leather pants, a black crop top/off the shoulder top, red heels, a red lip, and give yourself some super tight bouncy curls. How easy is that?

2. Mary Poppins
I have to give Lauren Conrad credit for this one (she always has the best costumes). A navy pencil skirt, a white button up shirt, some Mary-Jane shoes (or regular black heels), some tights, an umbrella, a cute little top hat, and of course a big bag.

3. Black Swan
I’m SO excited for this because I’m finally being black swan this year! I’ll be wearing a black tank top or body suit, with a black tutu and black tights. I have a pair of black flats that wrap up my leg like ballet slippers, but any black heels or flats will do. My hair will be in a tight bun, and then I will replicate the makeup from the movie. So glam. 

4. Dororthy
This might be a little bit trickier because you’ll need her light blue plaid dress, a white button up underneath, some frilly, white ankle socks, and red heels. Bonus points if you carry a dog around all night.

5. Minnie Mouse
You’ll need a red polka dot top, with a red skirt, some black tights, red heels, and of course some Minnie Mouse ears!

Two Person or More

1. Mean Girls
Rock miniskirts, tank tops, high heels and purses stamped with designer logos and you’ll clearly be The Plastics. 

2. Romy and Michele in Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion
This costume works for two people. You’ll need one pink (latex looking) mini dress, a choker necklace, and a half up-half down (think Ariana Grande) hair do for Michele’s look. For Romy, you’ll need a blue (latex looking) mini dress with straight hair, and both girls are wearing high heels. 

3. Cher/Dione
My friend and I were Cher and Dione last year, and it was so easy and really fun! We both got plaid skirts- red and white for Dione, yellow and white for Cher, and Cher wore a yellow sweater on top, and Dione had a red tank top with a black cardigan. Over the knee socks, a pair of heels for both girls, and a thick headband for Cher and you’re all set! Buying prepackaged costumes from the store? As if!

4. The Pink Ladies
Back to Grease again! Get a group of your friends to dress up as the iconic Pink Ladies. There are a few ways you can do this, but this is what I perceive the easiest to be: black skirts, pink tshirts (crew or vneck), black heels, and a black scarf tied around your neck. Create some faux bobs or tight curls and you’re done. 

Of course the lists go on and on, but these are the costumes I think are the easiest to replicate, cutest to wear, and never go out of style! Happy Halloween!
Hi! My name's Kim, and I am a current Marketing student. I'm the senior editor at HerCampus DePaul!