A Letter to the Women Still Supporting Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Editor’s Note: This is an opinion article. Opinions expressed therein do not necessarily reflect those of Her Campus or Her Campus DePaul. We welcome agreeing and opposing views. If you wish to write a response article or any sort of opinion article (politics or otherwise), please email depaul@hercampus.com

I want to start off by saying that I value your opinion. As women, our opinion isn’t always valued. We are not always valued. I also admire your courage to support a candidate when so many people are telling you not to. I commend you for being politically aware and for choosing to be a part of this election. I am sure that you have your reasons for voting for Donald Trump and I do not want to disregard them.

However, I need you to understand that the man you are supporting does not support you. He does not look at you and see your value as a human being. He does not look at you and see you as his equal. He looks are you and sees a body. A sexualized body. A body that only has one purpose.

As a woman, you have most likely decided to overlook his sexist and racist behavior to focus on his policies. While I agree that focusing on policy is important, I need you to understand that supporting a candidate for any reason means that you are supporting everything they stand for. Even if you disagree with the way he treats women and minority groups (and I hope you do) but support him anyway, then you are condoning his behavior. You are condoning everything that he stands for. 

So when you step into the booth and fill in the circle next to ‘Donald Trump’ I want you to think about every woman that he has ever mistreated. I want to think about what your sons and daughters will learn from Trump. I want you to think about how Trump’s presidency will affect your daughter’s life. I want you to think about how Trump’s presidency will affect your life.

I ask you to rethink your choice and do you research. Can his sexist and racist behavior be overlooked? Does he have detailed plans and substance to back up his policy? Or is he just telling you what you want to hear?

Think about it, and meet me at the polls on November 8th.

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.